FMLA and forced make up time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedgoak

Where I work each employee works every third weekend and if any time is missed on your weekend you are to make up that time by working some-other weekend hours. My question is if I use FMLA time to call in sick then how can I be forced to make up those weekend hours? The reason I think it's not right is because if someone takes 12 weeks off for pregnancy (FMLA) leave where I work that person is not required to make up their weekend hours. This sounds unfair to me. I would like to know what some of you think?

Where I work each employee works every third weekend and if any time is missed on your weekend you are to make up that time by working some-other weekend hours. My question is if I use FMLA time to call in sick then how can I be forced to make up those weekend hours? The reason I think it's not right is because if someone takes 12 weeks off for pregnancy (FMLA) leave where I work that person is not required to make up their weekend hours. This sounds unfair to me. I would like to know what some of you think?

You seem to be confusing FMLA with company policies.

FMLA doesn't provide anyone with paid time off.

Some companies will allow paid time off in certain emergent situations.

That is a function of corporate policies, not federal law.

FMLA only requires you be given 12 weeks of UNPAID time off in certain situations.

I suggest you request a meeting with your HR representative to understand your company's policy about FMLA and medical leave.

If you have a personnel manual, some of your answers might be available by reading same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back