FLorida Dept of Labor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceabrz

My jurisdiction is: FLorida

My boss informed me that I was being terminated on January 13, 2009. The last pay period was on January 16th. I knew my last check -plus bonus money- wasn't going to be direct deposited, so I called and asked if I could pick it up. I was told that it "was mailed out" on Thursday, January 15, 2009. It's almost a week later, and I still haven't received it. I've gotten mail delivered to me from Georgia in less time!

What recourse do I have? I thought of e-mailing her and telling her that I intend to contact the Dept of Labor, which I intend to do, but then I read in another post here that Florida has no Dept of Labor?
Thanks!

Florida has no state DOL as of, I think, 2002. Your options are small claims court or a claim with the US DOL. I recommend small claims as the US DOL will only look to US minimum wage times hours worked.

FYI - a few years ago I sent a letter to each of my siblings about some family business. At the time I lived in southern MA, my brother "Dan" lived in northern MA, my brother "Jim" lived in South Dakota and my sister lived in Florida. Jim and my sister each got the letter almost two weeks sooner than Dan did, despite the fact that Dan lived less than an hour from me.

Last edited:
Really!? Yes, I'm sure anything can happen. On the up side, It probably doesn't help that I just moved in the middle of January. She said she put the check in another envelope and mailed it to my new address. Could be that the postman saw that it was a check, didn't recognize the name, and sent it back or took it back to the post office.
Who the heck knows! Maybe I should call my local post office and see what their procedure would be on something like that. Won't hurt to call. ANYTHING!! I need my check!! Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back