Five year old paycheck

U

Underhill

Jurisdiction
Texas
I found an un-cashed paycheck from March 2012. The company that issued it had been bought out since. After making several unsuccessful phone calls to the now defunct and non-existent issuer and a phone call to the HR department of the company that bought them, I decided to simply wait for the check to be escheated. It is now the end of April and the property has not shown on the Unclaimed Property website. The phone numbers for the original issuer no longer work, and the HR of the new company still won't help me.

What can I do?

Is this check made out to you? I assume so but it isn't clear.

If so I'd expect the new ownership to honor the check. It is along the same lines as any other debt owed when they bought the company.

Have you actually gone there to speak with them and produce the check? DO NOT surrender the check unless they are replacing it, and be sure to have a copy of it just in case.

If they don't cooperate you should be able to make an easy case in small claims.

I found an un-cashed paycheck from March 2012. The company that issued it had been bought out since. After making several unsuccessful phone calls to the now defunct and non-existent issuer and a phone call to the HR department of the company that bought them, I decided to simply wait for the check to be escheated. It is now the end of April and the property has not shown on the Unclaimed Property website. The phone numbers for the original issuer no longer work, and the HR of the new company still won't help me.

What can I do?

You start by reading what WAS SUPPOSED to have been done with the liability on the books of your former employer, an uncashed paycheck.

I suspect this failed to happen and fell through the cracks during the acquisition/merger.
Delivery of Wages

Back