Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft first time shoplift

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was caught shoplift in San Diego. the amount of merchandise was $94. how likely it is to drop the case to an infraction? it was my first offense too.

pew007 said:
thanks for the quick reply, i just talked to an attorney and he said he could reduce the case to a "disturbing public" case, that means it would bother the immigration issues, he said he's done it to his clients before, the cost is 1500. does that sound probable and fair?

Ask this Attorney you spoke with if this is infraction. I suspect it is

Admin said:
pew007 said:
thanks for the quick reply, i just talked to an attorney and he said he could reduce the case to a "disturbing public" case, that means it would bother the immigration issues, he said he's done it to his clients before, the cost is 1500. does that sound probable and fair?

Ask this Attorney you spoke with if this is infraction. I suspect it is

no no, i was just wondering if it could be dropped to an infraction of petty theft, not disturbing the peace

Admin said:
Theft cannot be infraction. The charge would have to be something other than theft

i just asked an immigration lawyer and he suggested me to go for disturbing the peace charge, because it's not a CIMT so i would't have immigration issues. if i get a misdemeanor of disturbing the peace, can it be expunged?

When I was caught, I admitted that I stole the stuff, and there was video tape i think, are those going to be the evidences against me? is it likely/possible to reduce this case to disturbing the peace?

We have had this discussion numerous times. Your Attorney has advised you this could be done. If you do not trust him then seek out another Attorney. The video will not come into play unless there is a trial

Admin said:
We have had this discussion numerous times. Your Attorney has advised you this could be done. If you do not trust him then seek out another Attorney. The video will not come into play unless there is a trial

Well, he told me to plea not guilty and then plea bargain for disturbing the peace. I wonder, after pleading not guilty, isn't there going to be a trial later & the evidences will be presented?

pew007 said:
Well, he told me to plea not guilty and then plea bargain for disturbing the peace. I wonder, after pleading not guilty, isn't there going to be a trial later & the evidences will be presented?

That is a possibility. But, if your attorney works out a deal with the prosecutor, that will not be the case. If they work out a deal where you will be pleading to a disturbing the peace, they will only present the evidence that supports that plea. Most likely if they agree to that plea deal, they will just read into the record the basic account of what happened. Nothing is for sure, but 99.9% of the time plea deals happen, everything is smooth and you can put this behind you.

pew007 said:
Admin said:

He told you to plead not guilty then plea bargain? Is he not going to be there?

Norman Jr said:
pew007 said:

That is a possibility. But, if your attorney works out a deal with the prosecutor, that will not be the case. If they work out a deal where you will be pleading to a disturbing the peace, they will only present the evidence that supports that plea. Most likely if they agree to that plea deal, they will just read into the record the basic account of what happened. Nothing is for sure, but 99.9% of the time plea deals happen, everything is smooth and you can put this behind you.

Thank you so much for the advice, i've been paranoid because i'm really worried about my future. I don't want to ruin my life over this stupid mistake. I've learned so much from this lesson.

Admin said:
pew007 said:
Admin said:

He told you to plead not guilty then plea bargain? Is he not going to be there?

I'm actually not sure about the details because we've only talked on the phone, but i'm going to let him help me so we're meeting this Friday. He said he knows most of the prosecutors and he's done this to like a hundred cases. I should ask him to represent me in the court right?

Admin said:
So you have not hired him!? Do not go about this with a Lawyer standing next to you!

I told him that i'm going to hire him. I've described my case to him in detail and he seemed confident. We'll meet in his office this Friday. You're suggesting he could be lying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back