Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft first time shoplift

Status
Not open for further replies.

pew007

I was caught shoplifting yesterday at Fry's in San Diego. I took some ink and a case for iphone, worth 94 dollars. The store called the police and he gave me a ticket saying I have to go to court in two months. They took a picture of me and my fingerprint. I was told never come back to the store again. On the ticket the violation was 484. petty theft/shoplift, and he circled misdemeanor instead of infraction ( i don't know which one was more serious). I don't know what to do now. I am an international student, non-citizen, non-residence. My concerns are:
1. is this going to affect my immigration status when i apply for my visa? if yes, how can i reduce it?
2. will i have problem at the port of entry?
3. will i be inaccessible or even deported from the U.S?
4. i had a clean record before, this is my first time doing this stupid thing, will i have a chance to get it dropped or dismissed?
5. will i be charged for a misdemeanor or something else?
6. do i need a lawyer or can i get a public defender? what's the difference?

Please, please help me out! i'm really scared and don't know what to do!

1. is this going to affect my immigration status when i apply for my visa? if yes, how can i reduce it?
Yes it can. Discuss your options with an Attorney familar with both criminal and immigration laws
2. will i have problem at the port of entry?
Possibly
3. will i be inaccessible or even deported from the U.S?
Possibly
4. i had a clean record before, this is my first time doing this stupid thing, will i have a chance to get it dropped or dismissed?
Ask your Attoreny if Diversion is available in your case
5. will i be charged for a misdemeanor or something else?
No penal code you gave is misdemeanor
6. do i need a lawyer or can i get a public defender? what's the difference?
You need a Lawyer. However a public defender is a Lawyer. Whether you qualify or not depend son your income. While checkin gon that talk to as many Attorneys as you can. Many offer free consultations. Get as many as you can.

thanks for the quick reply, i just talked to an attorney and he said he could reduce the case to a "disturbing public" case, that means it would bother the immigration issues, he said he's done it to his clients before, the cost is 1500. does that sound probable and fair?

Admin said:
If your asking about fee best way to know for sure is call other Lawyers
I did visit another lawyer and his fee was 4500, i was shocked.
also, i'm more concerned about the reducing the case to "disturbing public" part, any suggestions please?

Admin said:
If this Lawyer says he can do what you want and you like the price then I think you made your decision
yes, i think this is a good deal, but im just not sure if what he said was possible. My question here is : is it really possible to turn a shoplift/petty theft case to a disturbing public case?

Admin said:
Whether its possible in your case an county I cannot say. However I have heard of this happening yes.
thank you very much for the advise, i'll post more if the situation improved

one more question: if the case is finalized as disturbing the public, will it still be on the criminal record? or any other kind of record of mine? if later a company does a background check, will it still show&affect me?

That depends. If the charge is an infraction no if its a misdemeanor yes

if the case is reduced to an infraction, will i have trouble getting a visa? will i have trouble at port of entry? i'm not a citizen or a resident

Admin said:
No an infraction should not impact your VISA status

but when i apply for VISA, there's one thing i need to check:
"have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty of other similar legal action?"
do i check yes or no even if the case is reduced to an infraction?

An infraction is like a ticket its not considered a criminal offense or conviction. Be sure to double check with this Attorney that this is case and your charge is reduced to infraction. Also keep in mind that both the DA and Judge must accept this its not automatic

Admin said:
An infraction is like a ticket its not considered a criminal offense or conviction. Be sure to double check with this Attorney that this is case and your charge is reduced to infraction. Also keep in mind that both the DA and Judge must accept this its not automatic

one silly question: what's the difference between a DA and a judge? when do i get to meet them?

Admin said:

they took my fingerprint when they caught me, is it going to be troublesome when i apply for visa even if it's an infraction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back