Fired for Complaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelbluec

• September Started with Company, based in New York, NY, as the Senior Project and Operations Manager to set-up and operate their business line in Nigeria for Company Solutions. Hired because of my experience working in Nigeria on power plant operations and maintenance and even some business development.

• October In Nigeria without funding from the company, and lack of proper support and resources. And although we were making things happen as best possible (i.e., arranging for transportation, getting temporary accommodation at a reduced cost, buying items for the company out of our own pocket (reimbursed later)), we were told to stop explaining about our situation and be part of the solution.

• October 21 Back in Texas from Nigeria. Had phone call with boss and VP HR to try to come to terms on business and personal aspects of assignment in Nigeria, however call does not go well because they simply do not understand what it is like to live and work in Lagos, Nigeria on a day-to-day basis.

• October 23 Threatened with being fired for improper behavior; labeled as "too confrontational" because I kept stressing my points about what is needed to do business in Nigeria.

• October 24 Told by boss that I still could add significant value, and that we really just needed to find structure and define expectations. Boss stated that "no gun would be held over my head" and we would sit down while we were both in New York next week to put this together.

• October 27-28 Boss too busy to talk while we were actually in the same place for once (New York).

• November 3 @ ~3:00 PM Fired via phone call from boss and Company General Counsel, because I hadn't changed my ways. Yet, the company or my boss specifically never did what they said was needed (finding structure and defining expectations), even though I inquired over the last week.

• November 3 @ ~5:00 PM Company General Counsel called back, stating that since I was totally surprised by the earlier call that he talked with CEO about this situation, especially due to he had learned there were things that company had not done to help improve the situation. The General Counsel told me that he and the CEO believed I still could add significant value in the company, and that they would like to offer me a different position working with the Togo Project Team.

• November 4 Given different position and asked to attend meetings in New York for Togo project.

• November 5 Talked with a Senior VP about the past week's events, and he stated that all of the work he has asked of me that he appreciated how I took care of things.

• November 10 Told by HR VP that after Togo Project financial close (mid-December to mid-January) that company will not have a position for me. She asked me if I thought there would be any other opportunities that I might foresee within the company after Togo, and if I thought of anything to let the company know.

• November 11 (AM) Attended conference call on Togo Project, where the CEO was swearing and wanted to fire people because he was not copied on an e-mail. This call was attended by numerous people including junior people. This is event is added simply to put into perspective the kind of person this company deals with daily.

• November 11 (Early Afternoon) Heard from colleague that I worked with in Nigeria that he had lunch with CEO and General Counsel in DC area. CEO and General Counsel had inquired about what had happened regarding me and with respect to Nigeria. Colleague told him, along with the fact that I was not being allowed to return to Nigeria to get my personal items. CEO stated that he wanted me back in Nigeria, or at least make the offer for me to return, and that I should be allowed to get my personal items in Lagos.

• November 11 Talked with CEO over phone, who humbly stated that he would like me back in Nigeria doing my original job. He recognized the fact that I would have to think about this because of the turmoil the company had put me (and my family) through in the last month. But, the CEO would like everyone to sit down together the following week (in the UK) to find out how to make "a return to Nigeria" go forward.

• November 12 CEO called back to see what I think. I told him that I would sit down with them (him, my old colleague, and previous boss) while in the UK to discuss returning to Nigeria.

• November 19 Sat down with previous boss and colleague for about 2 hours to discuss events of had transpired in the last month, and if there was a way to move forward or past this. Boss stated that he wanted everyone to be open and honest. He further stated that he and the company handled things wrong, and that "everything was fixed". He also stated my role would change to be more direct towards operations and maintenance, and not business development. However, CEO did not participate in any part of these discussions. Previous boss was answering phone calls and e-mails during these discussions. I did not say anything to him about his phone calls and e-mails since this was my first sit-down discussion with him since he previously fired me. And although he wanted everyone to be open and honest, I still remembered a previous conversation where I was told that I would not have a "gun over my head", and was fired anyway. I stated that I would consider everything he shared and discuss with my wife, and they asked for a response by Monday, 24 November.

• November 23 Sent message to previous boss to ask for clarification of what it meant that "everything was fixed", and since role would change, I would like job description and expectations in writing so we had the same understanding.

• November 23 Since CEO wanted to be kept in the loop, sent message to CEO and General Counsel shortly afterwards to question previous boss' commitment based upon actions during conversation.

• November 24 CEO replied, … Jxxx: Your decision to send Vxxxx and I a note complaining about Sxxxxx, your boss, in the instant after you sent one to Sxxxxx asking for various clarifications about your role, was extraordinarily poor judgment and was ill informed. It was also an obvious attempt to see if you could report elsewhere. Irrespective, it is clear that your reporting to Sxxxxx will not work. Whatever you intent, you have now conVxxxxd me, perhaps unintentionally, that your working for us in Nigeria will not work. I have directed Sxxxxx not to reply to your e-mail.

Please inform us today whether you wish to work on a contract basis for Lxxx on Togo, which contract will begin asap and extend thru January 30th.

It appears I was fired for complaining about my old boss, although all I was trying to do was get clarification on issues for the security/safety of myself, my colleagues, and my family in Nigeria.

Contrary to previous discussions, I was also not allowed to return to Nigeria to get my personal items. Most items were shipped to me, but there were things that either could not be shipped (i.e., whiskey, etc.) due to their nature or were missed (i.e., hangers, toothbrush, etc.). Company recently stated they would just pay me $200 for those items left in Nigeria along with my last expenses.

I have also inquired about unused vacation time (4 weeks per year), and if I should be entitled to any portion of that. Company is not responding to my requests.

What rights do I have here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back