Fired because of a Lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwoodGA

I Live in georgia and have been working for a company for less than two weeks. Yesterday I was sent home early because the manager said since my eyes were red and that i smelled like weed, which I did not, He believed i was High. I left and called the owner of the buisness the next morning. I told her my eyes were red because I had been crying earlier, I had just found out my granmother passed.( I also told her the first day I started that my grandmother was in her final stages and she didn't have much longer.) I then explained to her that I did not smell like weed and the manager was mistaken. She then told me I did smell like weed on the day in question and I asked her how she would know when she wasn't there. She still said She believed the manager cause she'd known him longer. I then told her I would submit to a drug test to prove I was right and that the managers judgement was off. She told me She would not give me a drug test and that she would just take the managers word. I then told her I would pay for my own test. Once my test comes back and it shows I have had no drugs in my system, will my termination still be valid? An can I bring a civil case agaisnt them?

You have no recourse here, sorry. This is not a wrongful termination even if you test clean.

You can legally be fired on suspicion of misconduct, even if they are mistaken and you can prove it. It may not be fair but it is legal.

My sympathies on the loss of your grandmother.

I know how you feel. I was fired from my job for a similar reason: My mother was suffering from lung cancer and had a major surgery scheduled at 8am, and I woke up at 4am to go with her to the hospital. Despite being exhausted and emotionally i was somewhere else, came into work . I arrived at 1pm, not knowing how the surgery turned out yet. My eyes were bothering me all day and were red and itchy. Not only was I up since 4am but my contacts were not very clean and overdue for a change.

Long story short at about 7pm the store manager and assistant manager called me into the office and said I was "acting different" after lunch. They asked me if I was under the influence of any drugs, i snapped and said "like what"? they didn't say anything. They ordered me to take a drug test the next day and told me I had to go home early. I said "My mom is IN THE HOSPITAL, I'll need to call a cab". OK they said. Unfortunately for me I smoke some maryjane on my free time, and had some in my system from earlier that week. I knew this would show up, so I didn't bother coming in for the test.

So ultimately I was fired for having irratating contacts, and being detached that day. Yes, in the end it's my fault I had drugs in my system but it was by chance they weeded me out (no pun intended)

Ironically the store manager was suffering from cancer at the time and I thought we got to be friends, and the assitant manager was a computer gamer and I'm sure he smoked on his own. No sympathy from either of them for a) my mom, or b) the fact that 90% of the employees I worked with smoked weed on their own time.

Last edited:
Don't do illegal drugs, they can get you arrested, fired, or both!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back