Financial Affidavit

CTguy

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
Going through divorce in CT and we are filling out our financial affidavits - I pay for all house hold expenses and own the house. My wife said I need to tell her our household expenses amount because she needs to put them on her affidavit - but why would she have to do that if I pay for it all now? I can see if you wanted to put a future cost estimate because she will be moving out into her own place. What should be done here?

Going through divorce in CT and we are filling out our financial affidavits - I pay for all house hold expenses and own the house. My wife said I need to tell her our household expenses amount because she needs to put them on her affidavit - but why would she have to do that if I pay for it all now? I can see if you wanted to put a future cost estimate because she will be moving out into her own place. What should be done here?

Ask YOUR lawyer.

Ask YOUR lawyer.

?...that's a very default answer - This is an amicable divorce so we are doing the paperwork together so I'm not going through a lawyer and all i want was some guidance that we fill out the affidavits correctly. I own the house and pay all the household bills so I will put that on my affidavit. But does she 1) put those expenses on as well 2) put no household expenses or 3) puts what she thinks she will have once she has her own place.

The advice you are looking for would require an attorney. For a non-attorney to advise you on that type of specific request could be construed as the unlawful practice of law (possibly a felony).

oh brother....ok this was useless forum - seems like a basic question of how you should fill out that section of the form not legal guidance on a matter - if a person doesn't contribute to the household expense do they put nothing in or do they put what they will be paying for once they get a place - oh well again thanks for nothing

?...that's a very default answer - This is an amicable divorce so we are doing the paperwork together so I'm not going through a lawyer and all i want was some guidance that we fill out the affidavits correctly. I own the house and pay all the household bills so I will put that on my affidavit. But does she 1) put those expenses on as well 2) put no household expenses or 3) puts what she thinks she will have once she has her own place.
The advice you are looking for would require an attorney. For a non-attorney to advise you on that type of specific request could be construed as the unlawful practice of law (possibly a felony).

oh brother....ok this was useless forum - seems like a basic question of how you should fill out that section of the form not legal guidance on a matter - if a person doesn't contribute to the household expense do they put nothing in or do they put what they will be paying for once they get a place - oh well again thanks for nothing
You are asking specific advice on how to fill out a legal for that you will be submitting as a part of your legal matter. You need an attorney.

I'm sorry you aren't satisfied with that answer.

seems like a basic question of how you should fill out that section of the form not legal guidance on a matter -

I agree. And the answer to your question appears rather simple once one reads the form provided by the state:

https://www.jud.ct.gov/webforms/forms/fm006-short.pdf

Under Weekly Expenses it says:

Insert an ("x") in the box if you are not currently paying the expense, or if someone else is paying the expense.

So, yes, she enters all the expenses on her affidavit and checks the boxes next to the ones that she doesn't pay.

(Oops, did I just commit a felony by engaging in the unlicensed practice of law? Oh my.)

Last edited:
I agree. And the answer to your question appears rather simple once one reads the form provided by the state:

https://www.jud.ct.gov/webforms/forms/fm006-short.pdf

Under Weekly Expenses it says:

So, yes, she enters all the expenses on her affidavit and checks the boxes next to the ones that she doesn't pay.

(Oops, did I just commit a felony by engaging in the unlicensed practice of law? Oh my.)

Only if they catch you, right?

ok this was useless forum

Unfortunately not everyone is interested in being helpful. If you are patient you will get more responses. Actually, it appears you already have. Hopefully the information given matches the form you are filling out.

It makes sense that if you both still live together that you both list the expense, but indicate which ones you are not currently paying. If she claims to be paying expenses that you also claim then it will be sorted out later. Having you both list the expenses probably helps to reduce the possibility of either of you falsifying expenses.
Your focus should be on your form, not hers.

Back