Final pay

RedTeamGo

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I was terminated due to allegations that I stole company credit card and purchased things. My final pay check will be dropped off at the local police station for me to pick up, is that even legal? Shouldn't I have received this by mail?

If I go to the police station to pick it up what might happen...? Summons, arrest, questioning?

If I go to the police station to pick it up what might happen...?

You might want to meet with a lawyer before you do anything.

The basic rule regarding final pay in Massachusetts is: 1) An employee who is terminated involuntarily must be paid in full on the day of discharge.

2) An employee who quits a job can be paid on the next regular pay date after his or her departure.

The text of the law is, "any employee discharged from such employment shall be paid in full on the day of his discharge." M.G.L. c. 149, § 148. And the rule includes any earned vacation pay due "under an oral or written agreement" and any commission that is "definitely determined and has become due and payable."

The law allows for treble damages if the terminated person isn't paid within the 24 hour window.

The law says nothing about meeting the employer's representative at a police station, or allowing the former employer to dictate where the person must receive the money owed.

These lawyers have a solution, as do other lawyers, contact one and get the ball rolling, find out your rights.

Getting Help with the Mass AG Wage Complaint Form – Massachusetts Wage Law

You also need to talk to a criminal defense attorney ASAP.
Don't get blindsided, as there will be hell to pay.
Get ready now.

In Massachusetts, when you are fired your employer is required to provide your final paycheck on the last day of your employment. While technically they would be within the law if they mailed it and it was postmarked on your last day of work, you may rest assured that there is nothing illegal about arranging for a meet and handing it to you. There does not have to be a law giving them permission to make that meet at the police station; the fact that there is not a law prohibiting them from doing so is sufficient for it to be legal.

I'm sure that's the case. I am responding to the OP's question about the legality of leaving the check to be picked up, not commenting on reasons for the location.

My guess is that your employer is furious and playing games with you, perhaps wants to see what he/she can provoke (perhaps an admission) by telling you that your paycheck is being dropped off at the local police station. Obtain some clarity from your ex-employer before heading anywhere.

Back