Fidelity Bond question

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallicajames2

I was charged with embezzlement for a company I had worked for. We went to court and the DA eventually dismissed it, saying that there were too many contradictions in what my employer told the police, and actual facts. The most glaring one, for example was that he stated that I was the only one with access to the safe, when in reality there were 5 other people who had access. He repetedlly told the detective that I was responsible, just me, etc. Well, after it was dismissed, almost three months ago, I thought that chapter of my life was over. I got a letter today from an insurance company stating.."We provide a fidelity bond for ......A claim was paid by us under this employee dishonesty coverage. We ha paid....... for a total of ...... Our investigation reveals that you may be legally responsible for this loss, an we look to you to satisfy this obligation. Please contact me.......

Is this right? How can their "investigators" say I may be legally responsible, when the DA dismissed the case? What should I do, or what can I do?

Make copies of the dismissal papers from the court and send them certified, return receipt mail. If you have a lawyer, contact him first and if they agree for you to send the papers include a line that they need to contact your lawyers if they have any questions. If you don't have a lawyer consult one for the purposes of drafting a response to send with the dismissal papers. The money will be well spent to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back