Fiance w/Child Support Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRGreen

My daughter's fiance, while working hard @2 low paying part time jobs owes significant back child support for 2 children in Minnesota-% of pay garnished & tax refunds witheld. Daughter has landed a good job that will put her in the position of being the primary breadwinner. They live in Missouri.

If they marry, my concerns are:

1. If she puts him on her bank account, can the joint acct be attached for his responsibilities?

2. When filing tax return, will filing "married filing separately" protect her ability to receive a refund if due?

3. If they were to purchase a home together, would that asset be subect to attachment by MN for his debt?

4. If she were to receive inheritance monies, is it possible for a court to seize those for his debt?

5. Any other financial issues that you can advise on in this situation?

Thank you for your assistance!
Concerned Mother

Yes if he owes back child support her bank accoint is subject to levy and any property they own is subject to lein. BAD idea. They need to keep their $$ seperate for now. Inheritance should not be subject to any lien at all but again she needs to keep those funds seperate. When she files taxes she should file innocent spouse, that way her return should not be affected. She needs to realize though that marrying a guy behind on child support is going to be a rough ride until he pays it off.

In most states, no. She is not responsible for supporting her step-children.

Fiance w/Child Support Debt - Additional Question

If they do marry, would her salary be subject to garnishment for his back child support?
Thank you!

My daughter's fiance, while working hard @2 low paying part time jobs owes significant back child support for 2 children in Minnesota-% of pay garnished & tax refunds witheld. Daughter has landed a good job that will put her in the position of being the primary breadwinner. They live in Missouri.

If they marry, my concerns are:

1. If she puts him on her bank account, can the joint acct be attached for his responsibilities?

2. When filing tax return, will filing "married filing separately" protect her ability to receive a refund if due?

3. If they were to purchase a home together, would that asset be subect to attachment by MN for his debt?

4. If she were to receive inheritance monies, is it possible for a court to seize those for his debt?

5. Any other financial issues that you can advise on in this situation?

Thank you for your assistance!
Concerned Mother

Yes if he owes back child support her bank accoint is subject to levy and any property they own is subject to lein. BAD idea. They need to keep their $$ seperate for now.

mitch114,

Are you having trouble including a quote in your replies? This is the third post of yours (that I have seen) that appears as if you are cutting & pasting the entirety, or portions, of other people's replies.

It seems odd.

Just checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back