Fed Employees Locked down/No Compensation

AnonymousSA

Jurisdiction
Georgia
So... All of the students currently attending a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center around the country are all currently on lockdown for at least the next 120 days(This will be extended. Students last year were locked down for over 10 months straight). They are NOT allowed to leave the base, even during non-work hours to include weekends. However, the staff and instructors are free to come and go as they please. This is all under the blanket statement of "Because COVID". That said, 100% of the students on these facilities are vaccinated. After the lockdowns last year, the students were told they could get their freedom back if they got vaccinated. So rather than being locked up, everyone (800-1000 students on base at a time) ponied up and got the jabs. Now they have changed their tune and restricted the students back to base.
Coordinators are saying "You're free to leave, you just can't come back". They are basically holding your job hostage if you want your liberty.

Questions:
1. Can the government tell you where you can/can't be during non-work hours without compensating you? I read on DOL that if an employer makes you stay at work during off-hours, even when not performing any work, the employee should receive "on-call" pay.

2. If not compensating the employee and ordering them to stay on the property, is this a 5th amendment issue for restricting freedom of movement? Or 4th amendment as it's technically a seizure?

3. Is there a "fair and equitable" treatment argument since the facility is allowing staff and instructors to come and go as they please, while denying the students to do the same?

As far as condition of employment arguments, I don't think in the dozens and dozens of signatures I've given, I ever agreed to being locked on a facility, not allowed to leave, and not compensated.

Thank you for any advice on this matter. I am soon reporting to the FLETC for a 6 month stay, and I do not prefer to have my personal liberty restricted without compensation.

. Can the government tell you where you can/can't be during non-work hours without compensating you?

You can be told anything.

I suggest you speak with an attorney, your union rep (if you belong to any union through your employment), your elected federal officials (Congressperson, senator, or president).

If not compensating the employee and ordering them to stay on the property, is this a 5th amendment issue for restricting freedom of movement? Or 4th amendment as it's technically a seizure?

Again, discuss these concerns with an attorney, union rep (if applicable), elected federal leaders (congressperson, senators, president).

Is there a "fair and equitable" treatment argument since the facility is allowing staff and instructors to come and go as they please, while denying the students to do the same?

I doubt it, but you are free to :
Again, discuss these concerns with an attorney, union rep (if applicable), elected federal leaders (congressperson, senators, president).

As far as condition of employment arguments, I don't think in the dozens and dozens of signatures I've given, I ever agreed to being locked on a facility, not allowed to leave, and not compensated.

You'd know better than anyone.

Thank you for any advice on this matter. I am soon reporting to the FLETC for a 6 month stay, and I do not prefer to have my personal liberty restricted without compensation.

I suggest you NOT express such an opinion publicly, or to classmates.

Why?

There are very slick, sophisticated ways that savvy people use to exact revenge.
You should also remember, you are being looked at for everything you do and say.
The entire "lockdown" might be a training exercise to see how well you react to stress, take orders, and change.

They are NOT allowed to leave the base, even during non-work hours to include weekends.
Coordinators are saying "You're free to leave, you just can't come back". They are basically holding your job hostage if you want your liberty.
So they are NOT preventing anyone from leaving. The rest of your post falls apart after acknowledging that.

Then you'd best find another way of potentially earning a living.

Super helpful and constructive! Thanks so much for the advice.

I have 20 years in the Fed with military. I think I'll stay where I'm at, and attempt to maintain my personal life as well!

I guess I took this forum for something else. I was hoping there were lawyers cruising the forum and enjoyed throwing out ideas. You guys are great ;)

Then you, of all people, should know that you don't go home on weekends without sayso by the brass.

Well, other than the military (This is the Fed, not Military), my boss does NOT tell me I need to stay at work without paying me....

"Hey, I'm going to need you to stay at work tonight without paying you." Me, "Sorry, I'll see you tomorrow."

Out

Last edited:
Back