Favoritism

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabmozzer

My question is in regards to favoritism in the workplace. I recently was bypassed for a promotioin by three employees with less senoirity and experience. The common factor here was all three were friends of the hiring supervisor. From what I have gathered, favoritism is not illegal. I am just having a hard time understanding that this type of conduct would be allowed in a big company enviroment. Not sure if I should go to human resource or upper management with my compliant. I would appreciate any suggestions on this matter.

Thanks,

Truly disappointed

rabmozzer said:
My question is in regards to favoritism in the workplace. I recently was bypassed for a promotioin by three employees with less senoirity and experience. The common factor here was all three were friends of the hiring supervisor. From what I have gathered, favoritism is not illegal. I am just having a hard time understanding that this type of conduct would be allowed in a big company enviroment. Not sure if I should go to human resource or upper management with my compliant. I would appreciate any suggestions on this matter.
Difficult to say. If you are in a big company, you may want to speak to human resources. There should be policies and procedures in place with regard to promotions, etc. and the company must follow its own rules. You should probably become very familiar with the corporate handbook.

Yes, you are correct. Favoritism alone unfortunately does not generally give rise to a cause of action without something else such as discrimination and violation of a protected right, e.g. gender, race, etc. At this point, going to HR might be the first step in finding out what you can do.

You are correct that favoritism is not illegal. If the company owner wants to make his child the COO he may, even if the kid is still in gradeschool.

Just because someone is friendly with the boss does not mean that they're unqualified for a position or that they weren't the best candidate. Since no one here knows anything about the internal candidates, their qualifications, the skills and attributes being sought for the positions, it's impossible to comment on whether the boss made appropriate decisions.

One thing you might consider is going to your boss or the hiring supervisor of the area you'd like to move into and asking what you can do to make yourself a more attractive candidate the next time an opportunity becomes available. Before you assume plain old croneyism is the issue in your lack of advancement, it would be worthwhile asking for feedback on yourself.

Perhaps this supervisor really is just hiring his pals regardless of their qualifications; on the other hand, perhaps they're his "work pals" because they have skills and attributes the boss sincerely finds desirable. If after looking at the other possibilities you determine that this is straight-out favoritism, then you should discuss your concerns with HR.

I agree with Beth. The problem is that in many companies there isn't an HR department. Favoritism is a way of life unfortunately. The most positive way to look at it is this way. If you can find another job where they will appreciate your work, your old company will have a bunch of overpaid underachievers and let them deal with the problem. It's not a great answer but psychologically it helps...

Favoritism though can go too far which is where you run into all types of discrimination claims. However, in order to go that route the favoritism must occur due with regard to a protected class of people, e.g. race, religion, etc.

The other issue is whether the company has an employee handbook of types (same problem when there isn't an HR department) where promotions are determined in a specific fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back