Favoritism at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggs1220

Okay, so i work at a small complex of sort and the assistant manager's daughter is my coworker. Last year when we receive our schedules, we got a copy of everyones hours in the off chance that we needed someone to cover us. But this year after hiring her daughter on we only received a copy of our own schedule. At first i felt it weird but i let it go. Lately i have been feeling something isn't quite right so i got a copy of the hours. After doing this i noticed that while i have been at the job for 2+ years now, the assistant manager's daughter has more hours than me and our other coworker. My question is what can i say if anything to get more hours. I recently asked our leading manager if i could receive more hours and she said she would try. But since i asked i have been feeling a lot of tension coming my way from the rest of the employees. Im wondering if it has to do with the manager being friends outside of work with rest of the employees or not.

Unless you have a union or employee contract that says otherwise this is legal and any movement to protest on your part could cost you your job

All employees don't have to be treated the same (example-given the same amt. of hrs.) as long as you aren't discriminated against due to a reason prohibited by law (examples - religion, race, gender.....) or unless you have a binding employment contract guaranteeing you a certain # of hours.

The mgr. being friends outside of work with other employees is not illegal/illegal discrimination.

Okay, so i work at a small complex of sort and the assistant manager's daughter is my coworker. Last year when we receive our schedules, we got a copy of everyones hours in the off chance that we needed someone to cover us. But this year after hiring her daughter on we only received a copy of our own schedule. At first i felt it weird but i let it go. Lately i have been feeling something isn't quite right so i got a copy of the hours. After doing this i noticed that while i have been at the job for 2+ years now, the assistant manager's daughter has more hours than me and our other coworker. My question is what can i say if anything to get more hours. I recently asked our leading manager if i could receive more hours and she said she would try. But since i asked i have been feeling a lot of tension coming my way from the rest of the employees. Im wondering if it has to do with the manager being friends outside of work with rest of the employees or not.

If you want to keep that job, keep your mouth shut and go about your assigned duties professionally.

You're not a manager, so don't poke your nose where it doesn't belong.

On a happier note, if that doesn't sit well with you, you have choices.

You can secure new employment and quit.

You can create your own business and run it your way.

Or, you can keep pushing things and wind up unemployed.

That ain't all bad, because you will likely get unemployment insurance to tide you over until you get that new job.

Last edited:
Agree & UI isn't ever "guaranteed" until the state says you get it. (though in some cases it's very likely you would)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back