Father's Day Wishes to all fathers

army judge

Super Moderator
Paul Harvey was one of the best broadcasters to every read the news and told great stories.
He was also a great writer.
Many years ago he penned a tribute to fathers.
Happy Fathers Day to all dads, and to anyone who ever had a dad! (LOL)

What Are Fathers Made Of? Author: Paul Harvey

A father is a thing that is forced to endure childbirth, without an anesthetic.

A father is a thing that growls when it feels good–and laughs loud when it's scared half to death.

A father never feels entirely worthy of worship in his child's eyes. He never is quite the hero his daughter thinks, never quite the man his son believes him to be. This worries him, sometimes, so he works too hard to try and smooth the rough places in the road for those of his own who will follow him.

A father is a thing that gets very angry when school grades aren't as good as he thinks they should be. He scolds his son although he knows it's the teacher's fault.

Fathers grow old faster than other people.

And while mothers can cry where it shows, fathers stand there and beam outside–and die inside. Fathers have very stout hearts, so they have to be broken sometimes or no one would know what is inside. Fathers give daughters away to other men who aren't nearly good enough so they can have grandchildren who are smarter than anybody's. Fathers fight dragons almost daily. They hurry away from the breakfast table, off to the arena which is sometimes called an office or a workshop…where they tackle the dragon with three heads: Weariness, Work and Monotony.

Knights in shining armor.

Fathers make bets with insurance companies about who will live the longest. Though they know the odds, they keep right on betting. Even as the odds get higher and higher, they keep right on betting more and more.

And one day they lose.

But fathers enjoy an earthly immortality and the bet is paid off to the part of him he leaves behind.

I don't know where fathers go when they die. But I have an idea that after a good rest, he won't be happy unless there is work to do. He won't just sit on a cloud and wait for the girl he's loved and the children she bore. He'll be busy there, too…oiling the gates, smoothing the way.

Last edited:
My Father When I Was...

4 years old: My daddy can do anything.
5 years old: My daddy knows a whole lot.
6 years old: My dad is smarter than your dad.
8 years old: My dad doesn't know exactly everything.
10 years old: In the olden days when my dad grew up, things were different.
12 years old: Oh, well, naturally, Father doesn't know anything about that. He's too old to remember his childhood.
14 years old: Don't pay attention to my Father. He is so old-fashioned!
21 years old: Him? My heavens, he's hopelessly out-of-date.
25 years old: Dad knows a little bit about it, but then he should because he has been around so long.
30 years old: Maybe we should ask Dad what he thinks. After all, he's had a lot of experience.
35 years old: I'm not doing a single thing until I talk to Dad.
40 years old: I wonder how Dad would have handled it. He was so wise and had a world of experience.
50 years old: I'd give anything if Dad were here now so I could talk this over with him. Too bad I didn't appreciate how smart he was. I could have learned a lot from him.

Back