Father trying to force me to emancipate daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmeadors

I have a daughter that just turned 17 last month. She graduated high school a year early, at 16, turned 17 the following month and moved out. She currently is living with her boyfriend's Mom an boyfriend against my advice. My question is, her father doesn't want to pay child support for her anymore since she moved but she cannot support herself yet as she only works part time. He is trying to force me to emancipate her for child support purposes only. I don't want to because I'm still giving her money and supporting her. Can he force me to give up the child support at age 17 even though the child is not living with me (custodial Mom)? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Stop listening to him. If he wants to stop child support he needs to petition the courts for it but since she is under 18, he probably still has to pay it. The fact though that she has graduated high school might give him some leverage but she can only be emancipated if she can financially support herself. You can always withdraw child support I suppose instead of emancipating her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back