Father left no will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chickie204

Hi,
My cousin's mother passed away many years ago and her father remarried about five years after her mom died and he also paid off their home a few years after he remarried. Then her father died and he left no will. Her step mother continued to live in the home and raise the half sisters and brother. They are now grown and the step mother asked my cousin about selling the home and what papers she would need. My cousin does not want to sell her childhood home, but does not know if she has any right to any part of the home. Her dad left no will and the step mother, half sisters and brother have lived in the home since he died and my cousin moved away shortly after her father died. Does she have any rights to any part of the home? And, can she stop her step mother from selling it? My cousin does not care about the step mother living there forever but just does not want the only home she has ever know, to be sold. We appreciate any response.

Sincerely,
Chickie204

What state did they live in when the father died? Since your cousin's father died without a will, his property will be divided up according to that state's laws of intestacy. Your cousin quite likely has a right to some share of the house. Whether she can stop the step-mom from selling it is unclear. If the step-mom inherited a share as well, she may be able to apply for an order for partition and sale of the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back