Family member wants guardianship of my children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update for those who would care :) I have found a temporary job. I start on Thursday and hopefully they'll decide to keep me. We will have all of our tax papers next week, so hopefully we'll have a place within the next two (hopefully less) weeks. I met with a counselor at my youngest daughters school this morning. She gave me the number of a place that does individual and family counseling, as my children will really need it once this mess is over with. There is no red cross here or anything like that, but that's alright since, as I said, we'll have income tax money soon. Thank you all so much :)

I love self addressed stamped envelopes, especially during political campaigns.
Send then back a copy of your favorite recipe or picture you draw with your feet.

My husband and I now have our own place. My husband and my Aunt (the woman who paid for my sister's lawyer) came to an agreement by which they would withdraw the request for guardianship if we leave the kids there for now. So they come home on the weekends and we are working our way toward getting them to WANT to come home! However, we have a NEW problem! When I got that job, I went to stay with a friend of mine for two weeks so that I would have a way to work. I left my kids there and left my sister my food stamp card so that I knew they'd have food. That was the end of January/ beginning of Feb. In Feb. I asked for my card back and she said that she had checked the balance, and there wasn't anything on it. I had been up for recertification, so I figured they just hadn't finished my case yet. But they have. I thought that they had sent me a new card and it got lost in the mail. I asked her yesterday if my balance was still $0, she said yes. However, I have now discovered that she's been LYING! She used all of my food stamps for Feb. and March! I cancelled the card and am being sent a new card. The EBT guy said that I could press charges, but I know that would just make things worse. I don't know if I should or not. I realize that she's been taking care of my kids, but they need food here too for the weekends! Ideas, opinions?

My husband and I now have our own place. My husband and my Aunt (the woman who paid for my sister's lawyer) came to an agreement by which they would withdraw the request for guardianship if we leave the kids there for now. So they come home on the weekends and we are working our way toward getting them to WANT to come home! However, we have a NEW problem! When I got that job, I went to stay with a friend of mine for two weeks so that I would have a way to work. I left my kids there and left my sister my food stamp card so that I knew they'd have food. That was the end of January/ beginning of Feb. In Feb. I asked for my card back and she said that she had checked the balance, and there wasn't anything on it. I had been up for recertification, so I figured they just hadn't finished my case yet. But they have. I thought that they had sent me a new card and it got lost in the mail. I asked her yesterday if my balance was still $0, she said yes. However, I have now discovered that she's been LYING! She used all of my food stamps for Feb. and March! I cancelled the card and am being sent a new card. The EBT guy said that I could press charges, but I know that would just make things worse. I don't know if I should or not. I realize that she's been taking care of my kids, but they need food here too for the weekends! Ideas, opinions?

You have a new job.

Have you reported the new job and the income to the food stamp officials?

In other words, are you still eligible to receive food stamps?

You might wish to contact the food stamp processor and see if you're in compliance and eligible for the known amount?

Its also problematic to permit other people to use your food stamp card.

In fact, the food stamp card works similar to a credit card or debit card.

You loan the card to Bill, and you both could find yourself in difficulty if something goes wrong.
The loaner and loanee are violating federal law.

Last edited:
You have a new job.

Have you reported the new job and the income to the food stamp officials?

In other words, are you still eligible to receive food stamps?
We relocated from FL to GA (just over the state line from where we were). I closed out my case in FL and reported it to GA, which still hasn't been finished yet (have a phone interview this week). When I called about my FL case, they told me that my benefits are mine and so even though my case is closed, I still get them. Hence, the reason I still got them in March when I closed my case out in Feb.

Its also problematic to permit other people to use your food stamp card.
I didn't permit her to use except the one time. They live really far out and I was staying in town, without a way to go. I just wanted to make certain that she was able to get groceries. I did NOT give her permission to use it beyond that, as evidenced by the fact that we asked for it back. Which, btw, she didn't give back to us. My husband, who is actually the one that went out there and asked for it for some reason didn't get it back and she didn't offer it. She could have given it back at any time!

Last edited:
We relocated from FL to GA (just over the state line from where we were). I closed out my case in FL and reported it to GA, which still hasn't been finished yet (have a phone interview this week). When I called about my FL case, they told me that my benefits are mine and so even though my case is closed, I still get them. Hence, the reason I still got them in March when I closed my case out in Feb.

I didn't permit her to use except the one time. They live really far out and I was staying in town, without a way to go. I just wanted to make certain that she was able to get groceries. I did NOT give her permission to use it beyond that, as evidenced by the fact that we asked for it back. Which, btw, she didn't give back to us. My husband, who is actually the one that went out there and asked for it for some reason didn't get it back and she didn't offer it. She could have given it back at any time!

You are certainly complicating your life.
Bending the rules is the same as breaking the rules, don't do it, but in your precarious position it is ill advised.
It sucks, but at certain times in all of our lives, we just need to color between the lines and pretend to like it.
Having "the man" on your back isn't much fun.

Last edited:
I thought to maybe bluff her and say that I won't press charges if she will just stop interfering in my relationship with me and my kids. I don't know; I'm at the end of my rope here. It's just so unfair that she gets to brainwash them and lie to me and treat me like crap, turn my whole family against me, and all I can do is try to be patient and smile. :nuts It's retarded!
Thank you for the reply, though!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back