Family law

C

Cindy lu

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Can a DCS worker question my kids at school without me knowing

Can a DCS worker question my kids at school without me knowing

If you haven't INSTRUCTED your children to scream, "I want my mommy. I can't talk to strangers without my mommy being here."

Yes, child services gets kids to spill their little guts everyday.

The kid must then sit silently, until you arrive.

This is a great reason for some children to be equipped with cell phones, or child , abduction panic devices.

Of course they can question the children without you being there. Why would you think they could not? If a child is being abused do you think they are going to invite the abuser in to hear what the child says? How honest do you think a kid is going to be with their abuser right there?

While I cannot speak for Arizona, in NY the state department of education has legal protection for cooperating with child protective services, to include allowing the caseworker to interview a child in school (without the parent's knowledge or permission). Generally, a school staff member is present. It is either in the family court act or social services law in NY.

If I have a new case alleging the parent they live with is hurting them--you do not want to ask the child in that parent's presence. Sometimes offering the caseworker a private room in your home to speak with the child can avoid this from happening. Caseworkers are much more likely to respect any conditions a parent may have on the process if they reasonable and cooperative.

Back