Falsifying time sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbie09

I have been with this company for 17 years. Have never had a disciplinary. Am considered an exlemplary employee. Last year my elderly mother went into hospice and passed away. I had FMLA for this. After my mom died, my elderly father became ill. I did not ask for FMLA. I asked my boss if I could work an altered schedule. He agreed. I worked through lunches, came in later, worked late. However, each week I would submit my time sheet claiming my regular scheduled hours. Another employee complained to HR on an unrelated matter and now the entire company's time records are being audited. I feel that I will be fired for falsifying time. My boss is innocent of my actions. I am vested. If the company fires me, do they have any control over my pension and benefits? This is a state retirement program.

If you are vested in your pension plan, then that's that; your employer cannot change that. As far as other benefits go, which ones are you asking about?

I have been with this company for 17 years. Have never had a disciplinary. Am considered an exlemplary employee. Last year my elderly mother went into hospice and passed away. I had FMLA for this. After my mom died, my elderly father became ill. I did not ask for FMLA. I asked my boss if I could work an altered schedule. He agreed. I worked through lunches, came in later, worked late. However, each week I would submit my time sheet claiming my regular scheduled hours. Another employee complained to HR on an unrelated matter and now the entire company's time records are being audited. I feel that I will be fired for falsifying time. My boss is innocent of my actions. I am vested. If the company fires me, do they have any control over my pension and benefits? This is a state retirement program.

Just so you know, your employer is not mandated to provide a reason for terminating an employee.
An employer can simply say, we're sorry, but we must terminate your employment today.
That's it, short and sweet.
So, you could get released and never know why.
In fact, it generally works out better for all concerned, if that is the case.

cbg - Thanks for the reply. That's a relief to know re: pension. By other benefits I was thinking of medical insurance, but I guess that goes w/ the pension. The only other loss I will grieve over if this happens is my credibility with those who don't know me and will pass judgement. Lesson learned the hard way on this one.

Medical insurance is NOT the same as pension. I believe, but do not quote me on this, that in your state the employer is required by law to continue it until the last day of the month in which your employment terminates. After that, you will *probably* be eligible for COBRA (which is quite expensive) unless your employer opts to consider falsifying time cards to be gross misconduct. That is the BEST you can expect - coverage until the end of the month, then COBRA. Under NO circumstances is your employer required to continue paying for your health insurance indefinitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back