Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Falsely being accused of giving someone my bf's check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam1am

I received a phone call Friday from a girl that told me a guy me and my bf use to know went through our cars a few times, stole $40 from my car and took checks from my bf's glove compartment and recently cashed one. My bf was there when i got the call, called his bank, and was negative. The guy wrote the check for $300 and wrote it to himself. They caught him, he admitted to taking it, but told the cops that i gave it to him and we were together at his house all day long from morning to night doing drugs with it and that i drove him to the bank to cash it. The cop called me, and kept saying his story was more believable because i told him i was home with my 2 yr old all day. So he said i needed an alibi. My neighbor across the hall seen my car there all day, and heard me and my son through the door. I took her to the police station to file a report with me, and he didnt let her write a statement he just said to put her name in mine. I also had postings from Facebook from around noon, which proves i was on the computer. He asked her if she heard me or just the baby, because he thinks i left the baby alone in the apt all day or something. He has called me a few times saying "i better not see you on the bank tape" then called me the next day saying "i better not see you on the outside cameras at the bank cause they are everywhere and if i see any car that even looks like yours i will arrest you." "Have you ever left your kids alone?" He has made me feel demeaned and i have done nothing. I have no criminal record, and the guy that stole the check was in jail for 2 yrs for stealing a girls credit card and using it for drugs. I have been told this cop can call me and lie and say he got me on camera to try to get me to confess, but i have done nothing wrong and sat at home all day that day. My question is, what do i do from here, or what can i do? Do i wait for him to call again then get a lawyer? I just need some advice. Thanks!

If you are not being charged with a crime, you do no need an attorney. If you do not want to talk with the police any more, you do not have to. I suspect the police are simply pursuing some other angles because they may suspect you are involved in some kind of nefarious activity with this individual. You might be surprised at just how many times the police have to deal with thieves stealing from among their own peers and other criminals. It could be they suspect this is simply a fall-out among drug users or some such thing.

If you have done nothing wrong, just stick to the truth and things should fall in to place. If you believe the investigating officer(s) is/are out of line, then you can ask to speak to their supervisor about their attitude.

Oh yeah, and he also read me my rights over the phone when we first talked. Can they do that? And do those rights he read me count every time he calls me?

Oh yeah, and he also read me my rights over the phone when we first talked. Can they do that? And do those rights he read me count every time he calls me?
He did not even HAVE to read you your rights over the phone. Since Miranda applies to custody and interrogation, and the very fact that you are on the other end of a phone is a clear indication that custody does NOT exist, if he read you your Miranda rights he gave you a huge favor and was not required to do so at all. So, no, he does not have to do that on any subsequent calls.

I have never been arrested for anything. My boyfriend was years ago for a DUI, and disturbing the peace

If they continue contacting you just let them know that you have said what you have to say, that you are feeling harassed over it, and no longer wish to speak with them. You are under no obligation to talk to them on the phone or to let them into your home if they show up. Tell them to pound sand and just go about your business.
They ask all those questions because they don't have the answers. Usually, the more someone talks the deeper they dig their grave. Just let it go and ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back