falsely accused of tampering with scram bracelet and drinking with it on, and was jailed twice

Dan Moyle

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I was arrested for DUI and had to wear scram bracelet, I wore it from time of presentence to the time of time sentencing approximately 3 months. I had no problems with this, at sentencing they removed this bracelet and I served 15 days in jail, upon release and sentencing guidelines I was to wear the bracelet for an additional 75 days and be placed in adult treatment court. I was accused twice of tampering with the device and supposedly it was off for approximately 3 days, when it came back on it said that I had been drinking, which I was not. I was placed in jail for both of these noncompliances for 48 hrs both times. They finally decided to put another one on to see if was me or the device, I had no problems with this one, did my allotted time and it was removed, but they pushed my time back served to the last supposed offence. Since then my councilor I have to see once a week, is also in charge of the safe driving classes that are mandatory under sentencing guidelines, he informed me that there were 3 people in his last class that had same thing happen to them, but none of them were put in jail. The one man was actually sitting in the probation office, when they went to download it there was a problem with it, once they got it to download it actually came up registered in another persons name, they messed with it some more and finally got it straightened out, except now it was showing that he was actually drinking while sitting there. According to him they gave him 3 breathalyzers and two urine screens to make sure it was the bracelet, once they were convinced he had not been drinking they removed that bracelet and put another one on. My question is do i have any legal rights here, to sue for my time I spent in jail, the false accusations that I had tampered with it and was drinking, the embarrassment of being in court with orange jumpsuit on for false accusations, they still have not admitted that there may have been a problem with the one I wore, but why didn't I have same problem with other two if I was actually doing what they accused me of?

Your rights will be restored upon the termination of your probation and/or sentence.

You can sue anyone at anytime for anything.

That's not the question.

The question is do you have a cause of action and damages?

The answer is no.

You are always free to speak with several attorneys near you to discuss the matter in greater detail.

Back