False Pretenses?

ConfusedEmploye

I started my new job 05/18/2015. I had two interviews as well as a meeting with HR to sign my offer letter and papers, on all 3 occasions I was told if I stayed in my position for a year I would get a raise to 18 dollars an hour , I was also told I would receive a pay differential for working overnight. Shortly after starting my job I found out that the company was currently in a contract dispute with the union. On 06/11/2015 the company signed a new contract where I would no longer be able to receive the 18 dollars an hour when I have reached a year of employment and now I only receive differential pay for 6 hours of my shift instead of the entire shift. When I accepted this job I left my previous employer because of the pay, had HR disclosed the contract disputes before I accepted I would not have left my last job. The contracts were drawn up in March 2015 so HR knew about it at the time of my interviews but did not mention it to me. Can I do anything about it?

I started my new job 05/18/2015. I had two interviews as well as a meeting with HR to sign my offer letter and papers, on all 3 occasions I was told if I stayed in my position for a year I would get a raise to 18 dollars an hour , I was also told I would receive a pay differential for working overnight. Shortly after starting my job I found out that the company was currently in a contract dispute with the union. On 06/11/2015 the company signed a new contract where I would no longer be able to receive the 18 dollars an hour when I have reached a year of employment and now I only receive differential pay for 6 hours of my shift instead of the entire shift. When I accepted this job I left my previous employer because of the pay, had HR disclosed the contract disputes before I accepted I would not have left my last job. The contracts were drawn up in March 2015 so HR knew about it at the time of my interviews but did not mention it to me. Can I do anything about it?

Yes, you can see if you can get rehired at your prior employer.
You took a leap of faith, acted on without a promise absent a written contract; and things changed.
Sorry, the CBA is controlling, and impossible to pierce.
Good luck.

Employment offer letters rarely rise to the level of a binding contract & now there is a union contract that must be followed.

Back