False imprisonment

Status
Not open for further replies.

zefejije

I live on the central coast of California and the problem is; my neighbor installed a 3 inch tall by 12 inch wide and 10 foot long speed bump across my access easement. The easement is the only path of ingress and egress to my home. Although semi-unique to my condition, I am unable to go over or around the speed bump due to its location and its size because I am confined to an electric wheelchair. The only means of leaving my property is to have someone load me into a specially equipped wheelchair lift vehicle and drive me over the speed bump and off the property. While the neighbor was installing the speed bump I notified the Sheriff's Department and they sent an officer out to my home. I then explained to the officer my concerns of not being able to drive my wheelchair past the speed bump and that I was landlocked on my property. The officer then spoke with the neighbor, but it did nothing to stop the installation. The officer then came back and told me that there was nothing he could do and that it was a civil matter. I have also asked Calfire, the County Planning and Building department, and both The Small Claims and Superior courts to require the speed bumps be removed with me acting as counsel and all have denied assistance in requiring the neighbor to remove the speed bumps. I also had the court judge's state that the case was too complicated for their courts and the only way this can be resolved is for one of us to move away.
Now the question; Are all civil rights violations that are being committed only enforceable if they occur on public properties? This has been the answer I have received from all the local government agencies when they deny me any help and tell me that "it's a civil matter to be taken up in court". If you're civil rights and freedoms have been taken away by someone, then it shouldn't matter whether it was done on private or public property right?
Let's look at this hypothetically going the other direction. If I were to take my vehicle and block the drive to where the neighbor couldn't leave with his vehicles, but there was still enough room for him to be able to walk off the property, I suppose he would call the police and have them tell me to move my car. The police show up and tell me to move the vehicle, I refuse and I roll up the windows. Would the police then call a tow truck and have my vehicle towed away with me in it or wait me out until I got out, would there be a concern about weapons, would I be arrested and why would the police be concerned anyways because this is happening on private property and it is a civil matter right? There is really nothing different in this scenario than what is happening with me with the exception in my case that the vehicles can go out, but I cannot walk out.
I don't understand why the neighbor is not being arrested for what I believe is committing a penal crime and why not being forced to remove the obstacle the same way they would require me to remove my vehicle in the example? Or is everybody in government services just derelict and ignorant of the ADA and civil rights and do not want to get involved? I just don't know who to talk to and get a definitive answer?

OP, citizens owe nothing to other citizens.

Civil rights are between you and government.

An easement implies use, not ownership.

The owner of the property over which the easement is granted has denied you nothing.

You're free to use the easement.

That is all your easement provides for you, ingress and egress. Those remain intact.

Unfortunately, what you characterize as "false imprisonment" isn't. This is, like millions of other daily human interactions, a civil matter.

It is one in which you will not prevail. You are free to pursue a legal remedies available to any citizen. Don't expect a court to do for you that which it can't.

You have no cause of action from which a legal dictate will flow. Good luck.

Have you spoken to the neighbor about this? Has he told you why he has the speed bump in place?

Ave you asked him about putting a gap in the bump - perhaps the middle - wide enough for you to negotiate your chair through? Perhaps if you offered to cover the costs of the modification?

Your neighbor did not commit a crime. He may have committed a tort, but that will depend on a number of other factors. Does the deed to your property spell out the use of the easement or any condition it must be maintained in?

Are you sure that civil rights violations can only be done by the government? What about hate crimes? Under legal definitions of false imprisonment one reads as
"The illegal confinement of one individual against his or her will by another individual in such a manner as to violate the confined individual's right to be free from restraint of movement."
I see no mention that civil rights violations can only be committed by the government.
California Penal Code 236 states. "False imprisonment is the unlawful violation of the personal liberty of another." By the neighbor blocking my ability to leave my property unassisted is an unlawful restraint against the will of my personal liberty or freedom of locomotion. I understand that I do not own the property under the easement, but the easement is the only way of ingress and egress of my property and I am not able to leave my property unassisted. My Grant Deed states that the easement is for ingress and egress and public utilities with no further conditions.

I need to run right now, but I'd like to discuss this with you more if you wouldn't mind? And also be able to answer the other people's responses.
Thank you all for your responses!

PC 236 will not apply. You are not being restricted due to any UNLAWFUL restraint on the part of the owner of the property upon which the easement exists. This is a civil matter that you may have to consult an attorney about. There may also be some disability advocates in your area that can assist you. I would think that a reasonable compromise can be made where a break in the speed bump can be made in the middle to allow you to pass through, or, perhaps on one of the ends.

There's no talking with him because he is a psychopath! We have sent him letters, we had a lawyer friend sent him a letter and I also had a personal friend speak with him directly asking him to modify or remove the speed bumps to no avail. If he were to just move the speed bumps further down the easement, I would be able to drive my wheelchair around them, but they were located in the first 20 feet from where the easement starts from my property purposely to block my ability to be able to leave my property. My easement is 503 feet long and there was no need to install the speed bumps in the location that he did except to harass and confined me.

Then, as has been suggested, you will need to try and address the issue in a civil court. There is no Penal Code section that readily applies to your situation and you are not going to convince the police to act on this.

I am not a lawyer or even close... I just really enjoy reading about issues folks have in this world. I have found thru the past year of reading the folks that have replied to you are top notch. They will always give information to what is best for you.

With that being said I HEAR you. Being a cripple myself I get soooo tired of finding bullcrap things like this. Unless this was a public road and needed a speedbump there shouldn't be any reason for it. Other then to piss you off and block your exit. The problems with ADA laws is most of the time it's very costly to enforce them. Besides trying to find someone to fight them for you. Most ADA lawyers only want to help cripples like us if there is a huge win for them. Meaning suing a business, employer that has failed to what is required under ADA laws. Then it could be a big pay out for them.

I think this will be a long and slow process for you. You need to contact all the CA ADA offices about this issue. then contact all the federal ADA offices that you can find.

Make a Professional Letter that is well written about the issue. reframe from using terms like "He is psychopath" "He is a butthole" etc..etc.. That will get you no where. In the letter state I have attempted to speak with Mr. Edwards about this issue which resulted in going nowhere. I have had a lawyer send Mr. Edwards a letter, a family friend contact Mr. Edwards as well. all these attempts to resolve this issue have failed and that is why I am turning to your office.

Something like that.. that explains the issue in a nice neat fashion. I would include pictures of you trying to get over this hump as well.

It can be done but I have found when it comes to issues like this & ADA issues it takes a LONG time... Now I say ADA laws but I it could be someother law...

Contact the newspapers, Tv stations, cable tv folks.. Maybe... you will get lucky and they may cover the story. It would be very sad.... on a hot day that you were attempting to cross this bump and get caught (stuck) without water, food etc...

Good luck
Michael

Oh, I wouldn't approach this with False Imprisonment claims... that tends to push offers of help away. As they feel your seeking money from the person. to sue them... go for the issue for what it is. You can't get around the speed bump.

I like this ideal from CdwJava,

I would think that a reasonable compromise can be made where a break in the speed bump can be made in the middle to allow you to pass through, or, perhaps on one of the ends.

Last edited:
Disabled vet, you are right on with your understanding of what has been going on and this issue has continued for a year and a half now. This neighbor has gone beyond just confining me to my property because he has also threatened physical and sexual harm to my wife and daughters, destroyed personal property which I needed a small claims court ruling to have him replace and several other things that he has committed. The man who commits these harassments as a lonely alcoholic and his wife is a hermit who rarely leaves the home. They rarely have visitors even though their two daughters live less than 10 miles away. I'm sure this is displaced aggression for the unhappiness of their life and my family was a safe target with me being a quadriplegic and the rest of my family being the only women. The other neighbors surrounding him just stay back from any confrontation with him. And this is what we did for the first eight years until he blocked my safety and ability to visit neighbors and friends during the day. If there isn't anyone home with me or if my specially equipped van is not here or working I am unable to leave my property. When I have called different county authorities to try and have the speed bumps modified or removed this is when the neighbor feels that I am harassing him and does another thing as retaliation.
The false imprisonment theory was brought up by an FBI agent who is a friend of mine and he said that my contacts should be with federal agencies only. This is where my concentration has switched to and I just wanted to check with this blog and see what other people thought. I'm also going to attach a picture to show you the neighbor's mentality. In the picture, my property starts from the white split rail fence at the immediate right and the fire hydrant is not connected. Everything else you see is his and is located in the easement just to harass. My easement is recorded as being 29 foot wide and 503 feet long and the neighbor has encroached the easement reducing it down to approximately 8 feet.
I hope this explains in a little more detail what has transpired and I appreciate all thoughts and ideas regarding my situation!
Sincerely, Ken

View attachment 359

Bringing the issue up with federal agencies only may cause you some problems as they may lack jurisdiction to act. Much of the time the feds will only act when the state or local authorities either fail to act and should have, or lack the jurisdiction. Not to mention that the federal bureaucracy may be interminably slow compared to any local bureaucracy.

No one is saying that this man's actions are good and decent, but, the actions may not be unlawful. It is almost certainly not criminal even if you might have some cause for civil action. But, for that you will need to speak with an attorney to see if something can be identified. It may take little more than the threat of legal action (with the proper citation) to compel the man to modify or remove the speed bumps.

This is not in any way a case of false imprisonment. It is a civil dispute over the property and nothing more.
If the neighbor did not have authority to install the speed bump, and if it is in fact YOUR property, then have it removed. No need to wait for the neighbor to do it.

I believe that he as a right of access through the easement but is not the owner of the property where the speed bumps were installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back