False and Malicious References

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshyar

I quit my last job 25 July 2007 and that employer who was upset I had left tells the prospective employers I was terminated. My employer prior to the most recent is a bitter old man who berates any employee he has ever had. I don't know what he has been saying about me but definitely not good from what I have picked up here and there. I asked an attorney and he will write two letters to ask them to stop. My questions are 1. can i write the employers myself or tell them in person so i won't have to pay $400 for two form letters? 2. since it appears i have two solid cases, if i were to take legal action how would i gather evidence for defamation? i doubt i can get many people to cooperate as far was what they were told about me by references. They are all strangers who are busy and could care less if they actually have good records of what was said. How do i prove this?

The letters from the lawyer will get the employers attention more than one from you. I would shop around $400. seems reasonable,but its like anything else shop around. I doubt you have a case at this point in time. Unless the previous employers comments caused some emotional,or financial damages. Emotional damages consist of more proof than saying the comments angered you or hurt your feelings. If you were terminated from employment or suffered some other type of financial advantage over the comments,that could be actionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back