Executors legal accountability

Status
Not open for further replies.

farexy

I am part of 11 people sharing in an estate. All of the assets have been liquidated. The executor claims tax needs to be paid before he can release the money. I have a copy of the check of the paid tax. This was over a year ago. In my last phone call he says he is waiting for a waiver. Over a year ago he sent me a letter promising me a figure of money plus interest. He even promised me in a signed letter that he would pay the money out of his own pocket if needed. Now I find out that another person in the will already received the money. The will states that all the parties should share equally but he is holding my money for no reason. The intent of the will is that all the parties receive the money at the same time. Do I have any legal recourse? I think I have been unfairly penalized by waiting for the money. Also is the signed letter stating I would receive a large figure plus interest a binding contract that he is obligated to fulfill? There were many possessions that were sold and added to the estate money. What accountability does he need to provide that the items were sold and the money went to the estate? This is in New Jersey and has been going on for 5 years.

Five years is almost an eternity in matters of the law.
I suggest you speak with a couple (as in MORE than one) local attorneys.
The initial consultation is often offered free of charge.
That way you can interview a potential attorney and ask good questions.
Most of these consultations run from 30 to 60 minutes.
If you have a cause of action you'll need the services of an attorney.
The attorney could also inform you about potential criminal prosecution against the alleged offender through your county prosecutor's office.

Five years is almost an eternity in matters of the law.
I suggest you speak with a couple (as in MORE than one) local attorneys.
The initial consultation is often offered free of charge.
That way you can interview a potential attorney and ask good questions.
Most of these consultations run from 30 to 60 minutes.
If you have a cause of action you'll need the services of an attorney.
The attorney could also inform you about potential criminal prosecution against the alleged offender through your county prosecutor's office.

Thanks for the reply, Yes I know an attorney but have been putting off contacting him. Basically wanting to trust the executor. There was a house sale involved. That's one reason for the long wait. I sent a letter out today and if no response I will call my attorney.
My relative died and left all her possessions to be divided. For all I know she may have had millions in the bank. The executor is the only one with access to the accounts. I have asked for a list of assets and probably will get one eventually but how do I know they are true.

If you want answers (not lies or excuses), you need an attorney.

Why?

Because, in most matters such as the one you describe, a court order is needed to examine what's behind that kimono!!!!

You just might be surprised once the kimono wearer stands before you exposed.

Thanks for the reply, Yes I know an attorney but have been putting off contacting him. Basically wanting to trust the executor. There was a house sale involved. That's one reason for the long wait. I sent a letter out today and if no response I will call my attorney.
My relative died and left all her possessions to be divided. For all I know she may have had millions in the bank. The executor is the only one with access to the accounts. I have asked for a list of assets and probably will get one eventually but how do I know they are true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back