Executor not following will

While not inconceivable, I find it strange that the insurance company would give out that sort of information to a random phone caller who claims to be neither the owner nor the beneficiary of the policy.
I gave my name who I was all info she asked for and she told me who was beneficiary.. she didn't give any other info besides they're was a active policy .. what part don't you understand? I asked basic questions.. does does mother have a policy with your company?? She asked her questions and told me yes she has a life insurance policy..

Just basic info not how much .. I have info to verify policy and she was able to tell me who beneficiary was .. that's all .. amonuiis still unknown since executor doesn't acknowledge anyone.. thx for your time
Right - private info that you have no right to know in the first place. I'd love to know the name of the company/agent so that I could make sure I never place my trust in them. (I'm being sarcastic - I don't need/want to know what company it is.)

Look - the bottom line is that your wife is the one who can pursue this matter. Encourage her to do so by encouraging her to speak to an attorney. You are in no way entitled to anything from your mother-in-law's estate.

8491125952_c2c7c854d8.jpg

Right - private info that you have no right to know in the first place. I'd love to know the name of the company/agent so that I could make sure I never place my trust in them. (I'm being sarcastic - I don't need/want to know what company it is.)
Look - the bottom line is that your wife is the one who can pursue this matter. Encourage her to do so by encouraging her to speak to an attorney. You are in no way entitled to anything from your mother-in-law's estate.
.. I know .. I was asked to gather all the info for my wife and her siblings.. I researched the attorneys we hired . But them being busy and it taking so long I try to look at other peoples concerns and if someone has the same issues we are having.. basically gathering as much info as possible.this has been ugly thus far for the family but I seen this coming unfortunately. How backed up are the courts for these matters ? And on your best guess is it favorable to us being the rest of the beneficiaries have a chance to be successful and closing out this process and her way? Thx

That's exactly how it is stated

The week after her passing we called the insurance and they confirmed the name of beneficiary and he since still denied it .

"We called"? Did you call and actually speak to some person at the insurance company? If not, who exactly called? I can't conceive of anyone at an insurance company divulging this sort of information to you (a non-relative not named on the policy). What position did the person at the insurance company hold? You wrote that this person "confirmed the name." Have you actually seen the policy or the beneficiary designation? Did the person at the insurance company identify the beneficiary as "John Smith," or did the person specifically say, "John Smith, as Executor of the Estate of Mary Smith"? These are super important distinctions, so it's important that the information you provide be as precise as possible.

I also don't want to know the name, but that's a horrifying breach of privacy (yeah, "horrifying" is a bit of an overstatement).

Anyway, unless you want to answer my questions above, I think we've pressed this as far as possible here. If the court-appointed executor isn't doing his job properly (and keep in mind that not immediately distributing money and not providing monthly phone updates is not improper), then a lawyer should be consulted about possibly seeking removal of the executor.

"We called"? Did you call and actually speak to some person at the insurance company? If not, who exactly called? I can't conceive of anyone at an insurance company divulging this sort of information to you (a non-relative not named on the policy). What position did the person at the insurance company hold? You wrote that this person "confirmed the name." Have you actually seen the policy or the beneficiary designation? Did the person at the insurance company identify the beneficiary as "John Smith," or did the person specifically say, "John Smith, as Executor of the Estate of Mary Smith"? These are super important distinctions, so it's important that the information you provide be as precise as possible.

I also don't want to know the name, but that's a horrifying breach of privacy (yeah, "horrifying" is a bit of an overstatement).

Anyway, unless you want to answer my questions above, I think we've pressed this as far as possible here. If the court-appointed executor isn't doing his job properly (and keep in mind that not immediately distributing money and not providing monthly phone updates is not improper), then a lawyer should be consulted about possibly seeking removal of the executor.
.. that's where we are now .. no phone calls and no money was distributed at all. not even the jewelry that was specifically left to my wife and her siblings. And the agent who took my call at the insurance company said because I'm not the beneficiary ..she could only give me limited info .. that there was an active policy and anymore info would only be to given to the beneficiary…. We filed motion to have him removed but no court date has been set yet..I'll keep you in the loop to get your thoughts if you don't mind thanks again for your patience and insights on this

I gave my name who I was all info she asked for and she told me who was beneficiary.. she didn't give any other info besides they're was a active policy .. what part don't you understand? I asked basic questions.. does does mother have a policy with your company?? She asked her questions and told me yes she has a life insurance policy..

I have worked for insurance companies, and I manage employment based life insurance claims. Anywhere I've ever worked that is related to life insurance, that agent would have been fired for giving you that information.

You may be suffering oxygen deprivation up there on your high horse.

;)

Sorry, not a horrifying breach of privacy at all.

There are two services through which one can search a person's name and obtain information about the person's life insurance. These services exist because the life insurance industry makes the data available in order to minimize "orphan" policies that would have to end up escheating to the state's unclaimed funds agency.

One is free through NAIC:

Life Insurance Policy Locator (naic.org)

The other, MIB, charges a fee

Life Insurance Policy Locator (naic.org)

Life insurance companies provide policy information for the asking so there was nothing remotely "horrific" about the agent providing the information.

Unlikely, if you were honest in your conversation.

Either you misrepresented yourself, or she should be fired.

Life insurance companies provide policy information for the asking so there was nothing remotely "horrific" about the agent providing the information.
This has not been my experience this year. Maybe that was the case at one time, but it is not now.

Seriously. I have contacted over a half dozen insurance companies this year about policies held by one or more parent. No matter how small the policy, even if I were a beneficiary, they would not verify to me over the phone anything but the fact that there existed a policy with that account number.

And that's considering that I wasn't filing a claim.

They just don't lightly give out information.

Do you know all insurance companies record there phone calls . I wasn't dishonest all I asked that if there was a policy active with the company and she asked if I was the beneficiary and that in fact there was a active policy. That's all she said she could give to us . This is not an uncommon occurrence when elderly die they put things away and sometimes they can't be found for a long time fortunately we hit the 4 company we called and bingo we located it..

Seriously. I have contacted over a half dozen insurance companies this year about policies held by one or more parent. No matter how small the policy, even if I were a beneficiary, they would not verify to me over the phone anything but the fact that there existed a policy with that account number.

And that's considering that I wasn't filing a claim.

They just don't lightly give out information.

Sure. Over the phone you get minimal information, but you did get verification that there was a policy.

Since you aren't filing a claim you don't get any more than that.

If you are a beneficiary and the insured is deceased, you get a claim form and go from there.

If you are not a beneficiary and the insured is deceased, you get yourself appointed representative of the estate and you can ask, in writing, for information in your capacity as court appointed representative of the estate.

Do you know all insurance companies record there phone calls . I wasn't dishonest all I asked that if there was a policy active with the company and she asked if I was the beneficiary and that in fact there was a active policy. That's all she said she could give to us .
So you DIDN'T get the actual name of the beneficiary then...

Sure. Over the phone you get minimal information, but you did get verification that there was a policy.

Since you aren't filing a claim you don't get any more than that.

If you are a beneficiary and the insured is deceased, you get a claim form and go from there.

If you are not a beneficiary and the insured is deceased, you get yourself appointed representative of the estate and you can ask, in writing, for information in your capacity as court appointed representative of the estate.
correct that's the only info we obtained and we we're grateful for that .

Back