ex-landlord defaming our name

Status
Not open for further replies.

tysonbaker

My husband and I were rently evisted out of a house that we live in for a year and half because we got behind on the rent. Today I received notice that our ex-landlord is now taking us to small court for an outrageous cost and he knows that we are not going to be able to pay this amount to him. He also defamed our name so bad that our currently landlord was at first very concerned about leasing the house we now live in. Shouldn't there be a law against landlord defaming someone so bad that it looks like that you might have live in the streets. This is not right. It should be like when someone calls your previous job and ask for a referral and they cannot bad mouth. They should create this because everyone has a right to live in a home no matter what happen the past. Fortunately our new landlord even though he contacted our ex-landlord and our ex-landlord defamed our name badly, he trust us to live in one of his rentals. What I am to do about the ex-landlord?

If your former landlord can prove you owe him money, you might determine how you'll pay. That said, being evicted doesn't make any monies owed for past rent and damages disappear. I'd worry more about proving that you don't owe any past rent, rather than concerning myself with what someone says about me. In the end, anything that might have been said hasn't stopped you from securing a new residence. I know people that have been evicted and are still unable to rent another apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do nothing about your ex-landlord except prepare for what you will present in court regarding the lawsuit they have filed against you. Army judge is correct; an eviction takes time and money and many landlords would not rent to someone who has a history of an eviction no matter the reason for this. One does not have an automatic "right" to live in a house. Luckily your current landlord has agreed to allow you to rent from them.

Please be aware that, depending on the state, a judgement against you for owed rent can result in wage garnishment.

Gail

I am from the state of Texas. I am not denying that my husband and I have had trouble paying our rent in the past. I have been looking for work and when I finally got a great paying job six months later I laid off and been looking ever since. We move to a different city here in Texas and it seems like that he is still following us. My husband and I are getting ready to declare bankruptcy because we owe a lot of bills. Would that get him off our back if we tell him that we are filing for bankruptcy?

I am from the state of Texas. I am not denying that my husband and I have had trouble paying our rent in the past. I have been looking for work and when I finally got a great paying job six months later I laid off and been looking ever since. We move to a different city here in Texas and it seems like that he is still following us. My husband and I are getting ready to declare bankruptcy because we owe a lot of bills. Would that get him off our back if we tell him that we are filing for bankruptcy?

You are fortunate in one respect, Texas does not allow wage garnishments for the collection of commercial debts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back