ex is talking about moving Child out of the country ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifilm

Ex's . . dont you just love'em..

I have a child who is 9ish. We both have joint legal custody but she has physical custody..
anyway,.. we are having some school issues and her answer to any problem has always been "TO MOVE AWAY"..

she's remarried and he travels to Europe for work,.. @10 days a month.
today i get an email that states they are thinking about moving overseas unless things get back to "STATUS QUO" and we all turn a blind eye to the issues at hand.

My question is obviously, "is that even an option, can she do that ??" we are all US Citizens, and i do have joint custody ALONG with a detailed visitation agreement.
Can she even move out of state without some change in our agreement ??

thanks

She cannot legally take the child out of the country. Does the child have a passort or visa? She'll need your permisdion to get it. You have a good casy for getting cutody if she does want to move.

She has no Passport or Visa... i wouldn't allow that now if it was asked.
is there some sort of filing She needs to do to even move out of state ??
My attny is out of town for a couple of weeks. i know we will get together soon and get this straighten out, but for my "peace of mind" i just have to ask.

THANKS

Just to be on the safe side, you might consider the Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program:

http://travel.state.gov/family/abduction/prevention/prevention_560.html

Most divorce decrees are written so that the custodial parent must get permission through the court to move out of state. Some even require permission to move within the same state, or from county to county. You should check yours.

Last edited:
my original Attny told me that was something i could NOT ask for or get...

"Most divorce decrees are written so that the custodial parent must get permission through the court to move out of state. Some even require permission to move within the same state, or from county to county. You should check yours."

that was the ONE thing i wanted.. i dont know why he said that or why he told me that, but i believed in what he was saying. so i don't have that in writing. This is one thing i am going to bring up with my new Attny who actually handles Child custody issues as her main practice.

as of now, we live a few miles apart and i am a HUGE part of my childs life..
everyday, everyday, everyday...
from what i have been reading, there is NO way "its in the childs best interest" to move anywhere outside reasonable area.. She would be devastated if she had to move..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back