Ex husband refuses to live up to decree

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCIOFFI

Hello to all,

I am married to a wonderful woman for the last two years. Her ex husband and herself agreed (inexplicably) to zero child support (shared custody) and no alimony while having shared responsibility for their accrued debts.

The ex left Broward county for Orlando 3 years ago. He did not notify the courts that he moved. He left his ex wife to pay all of the debts exept for one where he, instead of paying $100 a month, decided five years ago to pay her only $60 without explanation.

My point here is that this gentleman got his shared custody based on the understanding that he would share their kids expenses 50-50 and would spend 50-50 time with their children. My wife and I are caring for her kids at 100% our cost (now mine since my wife is now unemployed).

I am contemplating to file a motion for contempt of court based on failure to notify the court of his move to Orlando, failure to live up to the credit responsibilities of the divorce decree. It is my opinion that he must pay child support for his 14 year old daughter who lives with us full time and should pay the difference he has shorted his wife on the $100 monthly credit card payment.

The ex says, "what do you want???...for me to declare bankruptcy?" This guy is living with his mother and father and is estranges from their 23 year old son and refuses to visit his daughter, leaving it up to me to bring her to spend time with him. What are my options?

John

Hello to all,

I am married to a wonderful woman for the last two years. Her ex husband and herself agreed (inexplicably) to zero child support (shared custody) and no alimony while having shared responsibility for their accrued debts.

The ex left Broward county for Orlando 3 years ago. He did not notify the courts that he moved. He left his ex wife to pay all of the debts exept for one where he, instead of paying $100 a month, decided five years ago to pay her only $60 without explanation.

My point here is that this gentleman got his shared custody based on the understanding that he would share their kids expenses 50-50 and would spend 50-50 time with their children. My wife and I are caring for her kids at 100% our cost (now mine since my wife is now unemployed).

I am contemplating to file a motion for contempt of court based on failure to notify the court of his move to Orlando, failure to live up to the credit responsibilities of the divorce decree. It is my opinion that he must pay child support for his 14 year old daughter who lives with us full time and should pay the difference he has shorted his wife on the $100 monthly credit card payment.

The ex says, "what do you want???...for me to declare bankruptcy?" This guy is living with his mother and father and is estranges from their 23 year old son and refuses to visit his daughter, leaving it up to me to bring her to spend time with him. What are my options?

John

Legally, you are not a party to this and there is nothing you can do. Your wife can file for a modification of the custody order and file for child support as well. She can also file for contempt of the original order that requires her ex-husband to help pay off the debt.

Your wife can file for child support. That is about it. There is nothing prohibiting him from moving out of state since he does not have custody.

Your wife can file for child support. That is about it. There is nothing prohibiting him from moving out of state since he does not have custody.

OP said father has shared custody with 50/50 placement. Mother can and should file for a modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back