ex employer demanding my pre-existing work as their proprietary information

akellar1

Jurisdiction
Texas
I left my job last week and my employer is not only threatening me with a lawsuit but also jail time if i do not surrender work content.. The specific content (Code) was pulled from my code repository that far pre-dates this employer.. The specific process that the code was used for was also very dynamic and at some times there was no code used and others many different snip-its of code used. All from my existing repository from 30 years of consulting.

He is claiming that i deleted all of the work progress from my company laptop.. The fact is that i did not have a company laptop yet during that time frame and was using my personal laptop in lieu of them being able to provide one..

Any work i did honing the process (which is more of a dynamic skill-set than an application) was done on my own time as the company was also unwilling to allow me to take from billable hours for any research on this process.

You need a lawyer ASAP.
I suggest you seek the services of one, as your issue is far too complex for a message board.

Good luck.

my employer is not only threatening me with a lawsuit but also jail time if i do not surrender work content..

Another option is to ignore him. Block his calls, emails, texts, etc, and quit talking.

It may just be hot air.

If you get sued, then get a lawyer.

Back