Ex-boss is threatening to sue me

evanr821

Jurisdiction
Nevada
When I was working for my last employer, during the time that I started, my paycheck was not paid to me on time and I was in a situation where I needed to be paid immediately. Because of this, my CEO agreed to cut me a check for $2000 with the intention of paying the loan back on my terms whenever it was affordable to do so. There were no documents signed. This was merely a verbal agreement.

Fast forward to several months later. I was called into my COO's office at the end of my shift on a Monday. He then told me that I was being terminated for various reasons that I was not aware of. During this conversation, he also told me verbally that he was aware that there was a loan that was given to me during the time of my employment and that he was willing to let that go and that there was no need to repay the loan due to me being terminated. There were no documents signed and I left without being paid for a week later.

Approximately a month after my termination, during my job search, I was presented with the opportunity to write a review about my past employer on indeed.com and glassdoor.com. About a week after my review was published, my ex-COO wrote me an email stating the following:

"We were reviewing our accounts and found that you have not repaid the loan you were given. We have instructed our attorney's to recover it. "

Following this email, I promptly called him and when asked why he was all of a sudden requesting this money to be paid back, he said that he was irritated with my company reviews and that he was taking me to court to sue me because he had the money and power to "ruin me". With all of that said, at the end of our call, he stated that I had until the following Monday to remove the reviews and he would then send me a release. The reviews were promptly taken down as agreed, but I fear that he will still do whatever he can to hurt me in court as he has a history of working in unethical ways and backing out of promises.

My question is that since we had a verbal agreement to repay the loan, but then had another verbal agreement to forgive the loan, does he have any leverage in court to collect the money? I understand I must tell the truth under oath, but I have no doubts that he will not have a problem lying under oath.

Want to ensure this doesn't come back to haunt you? Pay back what you owe by check, and write what it is for on the memo line.

You can also cease all contact. You no longer exist in their world. They have better things to do than pursue you over this.
Their letter and emails mean nothing. Unless you are served with a summons to court you have nothing to worry about. If that summons should ever appear then you can consider options to repay or settle.
Forget about them and move on.

No, everything was verbal. Nothing with this company was ever documented.

The $2,000 check is their documentation.
The check made out to you, and endorsed by you to receive its value.

Back