Eviction of subleasee due to nondisclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kattster

I live in a 2br house and have a spare room for rent. After going through references, checking credit, etc. I rented to the room to someone. We signed a 6 month sublease agreement, he was to give me first half month (he moved in the middle of the month) and last month's rent. He said as a sign of good faith he would give me 2 months rent up front. And he later gave me another month's rent so now he's essentially paid until November 30.

I found out recently that he didn't disclose information about himself as well as lied to me about his recent living situation and where he was for the last year. I made the mistake of not googling him when he applied, and now I am finding that I will probably never not google ANYONE, not just renters, but people in general, after this experience!

Do I have the right to evict him due to this nondisclosure? If so, do I have to give notice and do I need to give back the portion of the remaining rent once he moves out?

I would be willing to let him stay until the end of November, however I no longer trust him and that makes me uncomfortable

You wouldn't likely complete an eviction before November anyway.Not if he fought it.
Simply inform him that you are not able to renew the lease after November (in writing) and that he should start looking for another place. If he leaves early you should return any unused portion of the rent and deposit.

I doubt he would fight it, considering that he didn't disclose he's a registered sex offender and that he wasn't in fact in Florida with his dying mother but incarcerated. Having the police show up was quite a shock, which is when he told me everything. I was hoping I could get him to leave earlier, and give him back whatever money is left less the first month's rent, etc. Thanks for your reply

It is never safe to rent a room in your home to strangers. You have no way of knowing who you're renting to, what they've done, or when they'll snap and hack you up Lizzie Borden style.

You can't ascertain anyone's true identity.
Many people use fake IDS.
You can't fingerprint them or DNA test them.
All you can do is run their fake name, Donald Duck, when he's really Daffy Duck.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Great imagery there Army Judge...that doesn't answer the legal question however. I would like to be able to evict him for nondisclosure, giving him notice on 11/1 and break the 6 month lease. If that is legally possible, I would love to be able to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back