Establishing paternity

nyia

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I recently found out who my possible alleged father could be. He resided in Maryland and I live in NC. He passed away about two years ago, I was wanting to know I'm grown now and I'm not looking for child support or anything but I want to know how can I establish paternity? SSI? Would I need to go to court? If I did why and what should I ask of them? And would it be free that way?

No, you cannot establish paternity. And if you could, it would certainly not be free.

Possibly but would most likely require DNA testing of an immediate family member of the deceased.

I recently found out who my possible alleged father could be. He resided in Maryland and I live in NC. He passed away about two years ago, I was wanting to know I'm grown now and I'm not looking for child support or anything but I want to know how can I establish paternity? SSI? Would I need to go to court? If I did why and what should I ask of them? And would it be free that way?

In many cases the DNA of a sibling or parent of the male can be used along with your DNA to prove the deceased male was your father.

As far as SSI, you need not establish paternity to receive that government transfer payment. SSI is a needs based program overseen by these people: www.ssa.gov

Back