1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Establishing paternity

Discussion in 'Paternity Law & DNA Tests' started by nyia, Jun 21, 2016.

1. nyia

nyia Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    North Carolina
    I recently found out who my possible alleged father could be. He resided in Maryland and I live in NC. He passed away about two years ago, I was wanting to know I'm grown now and I'm not looking for child support or anything but I want to know how can I establish paternity? SSI? Would I need to go to court? If I did why and what should I ask of them? And would it be free that way?

2. KatDini

KatDini Well-Known Member

No, you cannot establish paternity. And if you could, it would certainly not be free.

3. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

Possibly but would most likely require DNA testing of an immediate family member of the deceased.

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

In many cases the DNA of a sibling or parent of the male can be used along with your DNA to prove the deceased male was your father.

As far as SSI, you need not establish paternity to receive that government transfer payment. SSI is a needs based program overseen by these people: www.ssa.gov