Medical Malpractice ER doctor error. Malpractice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelq

My Mother was bitten by a Pit Bull Friday night. She went to ER and got stitches in her hand. They put in 4 stitches and the doctor said they do not sew animal bites all the way to let the would drain. It would have taken 12-15 stitches if it were a normal cut. He used a dry bandage and sent her home with an antibiotic and tylenol. She went back on Sunday to have the dressing changed. She has developed a serious infection. The doctor she saw Sunday said the ER doctor did not properly clean the would and should have used a teflon bandage to prevent the bandage from sticking. They also said he prescribed the wrong antibiotic for the type of infection that was possible. She had to have IV antibiotics Sunday and may possibly be admitted today for more antibiotics if the infection has not decreased. Is this negligence on the behalf of the doctor and possibly a malpractice claim?

Do you know what the antibiotic was? There are well established treatment protocols for dog bites. If the physician gave an antibiotic that is not approved for the treatment of a dog bite, it sounds like some questions should be asked.

The ER doctor used Cephalexin 500mg. The second doctor used Augmentin I am not sure the dosage on that one.

Cephalexin is not indicated for the treatment of a dog bite. It *is* indicated for the treatment of skin infections- non bite. As long as the exam records from the visit show that the wound was associated with a dog bite, I'd say you have reason to question the quality of care given. Augmentin, or (Unasyn in its closest IV form) is the properly indicated drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back