Entire paycheck applied to retroactive insurance premium not enrolled

Status
Not open for further replies.

y0ungshel

I became eligible for insurance benefits through the company I work for in the beginning of Feb. I had other insurance coverage so I was not in a hurry to enroll and wasn't sure if I was even going to enroll. Near the end of the month I decided to enroll in insurance and on the 23rd of Feb. I enrolled in insurance. March 7th was payday and I didn't receive a paycheck, I am a single mother so I was more than a little upset. While looking into why I didn't get paid, I discovered, my company took my entire paycheck as retroactive insurance premiums from Feb. 2nd. This is insurance that I didn't need as I was already insured, and insurance that I will never use as I can't go back in time to go to the Dr. I didn't give permission for these charges nor was I made aware of them.

Is this legal for them to take my entire paycheck and leave me with nothing? I work in the American version of a sweat shop and don't make a good wage to begin with, and as a result live paycheck to paycheck. Everyone in my company passed the buck as I tried to be reasonable and calm throughout the day, ultimately leaving without a paycheck, headed home to kids who already don't have enough.

What recourse do I have at this point?

None. I explained why on one of the other threads where you posted this question.

Oh, and by the way, this is exactly what I do for a living, so I am quite sure of my facts.

OP, the next time you enroll in anything, make sure you know when the coverage takes effect, what it costs, and when it'll be deducted.

You could have said, I don't want to enroll until March, what do I do and when do I do it?

I've found it's always easier to inquire about everything before doing anything.

In order to enroll in March, she would have to have provided written, verifiable 3rd party evidence that she had other coverage in February and that it ended in March, and on what day it ended. Then, and only then, she would have been allowed to enroll on a date other than her initial eligibility date. That is Federal law.

In order to enroll in March, she would have to have provided written, verifiable 3rd party evidence that she had other coverage in February and that it ended in March, and on what day it ended. Then, and only then, she would have been allowed to enroll on a date other than her initial eligibility date. That is Federal law.

I was merely attempting to inform the OP about clearly understanding what one does before one does it, or requests another to do it.

If your finances are tight, you're hungry, you might want to know that dining at Ruths Chris (my favorite restaurant by the way) could be unaffordable, before enjoying a great meal costing far more than munching down at Mickey D's.

The employer followed the law and their policies.

Had the OP sought clarification she would have known how it would affect her take home pay.

That might have influenced her ultimate decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back