English accent

Status
Not open for further replies.

uttamtcscv

Hi,
I am from India working on an H1B visa, and cannot change my job because of personal & visa related issues.
I have been working with this company since last 2 yrs (approx.) . Recently I have been placed in a new project. I am hard working, proactive and never had any performance related issues.
I am an IT Business Analyst and have to interact with other team members for understanding requirements. My interaction includes asking questions, replying email and participating in discussions.
In this project managers perceive me as being arrogant and aggressive, because of my language accent. They feel offended when I use words like isn't it, I feel, fine, etc. They have asked me to stop using these words in my communications, because they are not part of American Culture.

My boss has issued me a warning that I will be dismissed if I do not follow American culture. Moreover, managers quite often humiliate me publically and privately for these reasons.
Actually, I am confused, because I think managers are not focusing on the problem areas but on my personal unintentional habits. I am certain that I am asking right and genuine questions related to work but because of some other reasons they try to divert my attention.

My co-worker (Indian origin) is not at all helpful. She is involved in buttering managers and remain silent & unsupportive when I raise any project related issues in front of managers.

Because of these frustrations, one day I lost my control and sent a kind of offensive email to my co-worker which she complained to my manager. Later on I wrote an email seeking an apology and she accepted. Moreover, she contacted the manager and asked to forgive my actions. Also, I informed my manager under what circumstance I did this however, he served me a written dismissal warning, which I accepted without any protest.

Nevertheless, situation is not improving and managers continue to harass me.

I wish to know if this constitutes a harassment and discrimination. Also, wish to know, if I can take any legal action against my employer.

I will really appreciate your reply and guidance. Please let me know, if you need any further information / clarification for answering my question.

Thanks with regards,
Prem

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back