Employment Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburgos

I began working for a law firm September 3 2008 and was fired October 1, 2008. I was hired to be the assistant to the director of operations. When I arrived I had no desk nor phone. I was placed at a desk of a person who pasted away 6 months prior and who seemed to be loved by the director of operations. when i placed photos of my own family he asked me to remove them. then he had me do secretarial work on another floor. since the supervisor of support staff was to train me (which she didnt b/c she felt that since I had over 10+ years of legal secretarial skills she did not need to train me). the first week i trained myself of their software and began to familiarize myself with the firm. the second week i was informed not to trust the DirofOper b/c he was known to hire an individual for one thing and have them do another then fire them. I did not comment nor said anything to anyone on remarks made to me about the running of this firm by this individual. I was then approached the third week that I was having a performance issue which I felt that i wasnt. on the fourth week i was fired. I feel that I was wrongly fired. Should I being contacting the EEOC?

You may or may not have been unfairly fired but nothing in your post suggests that you were wrongfully (illegally) fired.

Unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you were fired BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, pregnancy, or because you are over 40, (and if you do you did not post it here) the EEOC has nothing to say about it.

I met with their people regarding insurance, i.e. health, personal, disability insurance. It was after meeting with them privately and I disclosed to them privately that I have Lupus and seizures. I know that I do not have to disclose medical issues with employers but to the insurance people I did and I specifically ask them if this was in the strictest of confidence and they said yes. When I lefvt the room I koticed that they were extremely friendly with the HR person of the firm. Now I did not inform them that I had surgery on my left wrist due to a skating accident and shortly after being terminated I received a letter from the health insurance company that I did not "qualify" for short/long term insurance due to surgery performed on my wrist. Now that left me more confused. I kept the letter.

When you say, "their people regarding insurance", do you mean someone from the HR department of the employer, or representatives of the carrier?

P.S. I'm on very friendly terms with all the vendor representatives I work with, but that doesn't mean they're going to tell me confidential information about my employees. And it's not at all unlikely that you signed an authorization for the STD/LTD carrier to look at your medical records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back