Employers Tacking on "Bio Surchg" Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuriousParty

My workplace has tacked on a Bio Surcharge this year. They told us last year they tried to use the carrot to get employees involved with their healthy assistance programs. Sorry dont' remember the exact term for the old program. This year they said they are going to use the stick, seriously, their words. So they instituted a health screening where you had to pass so many categories or they would tack on an extra $40 a pay check ($80 a month) as a Bio Surcharge. I didn't think I would pass so I didn't do it and am currently being charged this fee along with many of my co-workers. We weren't given the option option to take the screening at a later date. For example, if my health improved and my weight and blood pressure were lower or I didn't think I would pass and found out later that I could have type of situations. If you missed it in the beginning of the year you are suck with that duction. I've never heard of this and can't find anything on the net about out. Myself and many of my co-workers are curious if this is legal.

Is this related to your health insurance, so that you pay more premium than those who passed the screening? Or is this just another deduction unrelated to anything?

If the first, it's probably legal. If the second, it's probably not.

My workplace has tacked on a Bio Surcharge this year. They told us last year they tried to use the carrot to get employees involved with their healthy assistance programs. Sorry dont' remember the exact term for the old program. This year they said they are going to use the stick, seriously, their words. So they instituted a health screening where you had to pass so many categories or they would tack on an extra $40 a pay check ($80 a month) as a Bio Surcharge. I didn't think I would pass so I didn't do it and am currently being charged this fee along with many of my co-workers. We weren't given the option option to take the screening at a later date. For example, if my health improved and my weight and blood pressure were lower or I didn't think I would pass and found out later that I could have type of situations. If you missed it in the beginning of the year you are suck with that duction. I've never heard of this and can't find anything on the net about out. Myself and many of my co-workers are curious if this is legal.

You should seek clarification by discussing the charges with your payroll and benefits people.
You should ask them to show you in writing how this charge works.
My GUESS is its related to your healthcare plan and/or the Obama-s-Care Stuff.
Either way, a polite request for an explanation to your HR, Benefits, and Payroll people will get you the answers you're seeking.

If you're employed in the food service industry (don't confirm or deny, PROTECT your privacy), GOOGLE "CA bio surcharge" and you'll see how this is affecting that industry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back