employer taking tips

kitty

Can a Employer take and Keep for themselves hourly employees tips? I don't believe it is legal, but I can't find a specific law that states this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It seems to me, legal or not, it would be unethical.
I'd quit, and be seeking new employment.
That solution is easier than working for an unethical "toke" snatcher.

I am not asking for myself, I have been looking into it for a friend, but she works in the lounge of a restaurant, on the weekend has live music and is very busy.
I was very upset to learn that the owner has all the servers turn in there tips to her and she keeps them for herself.

Last edited:
Employment is hard to find, and quitting is not an option for her. I thought as long as she declares and pays taxes on that income it should be as part of her wages.

Employment is hard to find, and quitting is not an option for her. I thought as long as she declares and pays taxes on that income it should be as part of her wages.

As far as I know, the law is usually silent on such practices.

Even if you find a state agency that is interested, more than likely most of those complaining will find themselves out of work.
The owner will likely replace them easily.

This is one that can't be won.

Many people would simply accept it, keep their mouth shut, and hustle whatever money they can scratch.

Back