Employer Specious Reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

sholcomb4

Defamation

I have been working for my current employer for 17 years and 2 months. I received my BSW in Human Services in April of 2003. I want to pursue employment in this field. My current Administrator who is my direct supervisor has only been with the company for one year. She has complemented me on my work, which include but not limited to; compiling reports, and narratives etc. She has also given me information on how to pursue work in the field of my Degree and has given me some inside information that will help me obtain the type of work I want. However, on 9-7-04 when she received a call enquiring about my work abilities her comments were good; except during the part that could have given me the opportunity to get the job, as the caller did express a great interest in hiring me. When my supervisor got to the part where she had to described my weaknesses (keep in mind she has never complained or reprimanded me due to poor work habits) she said "Well, I have to think. Probably the one big weakness I would say is her written communication could stand a lot of improvement. She gets her point across when she's writing things, but she apparently, perhaps she didn't do well in school when it came to spelling and grammar and sentence structure, but that is a big weakness, She has a tough time with that, But she does get her idea across; you just have to be willing to read past a lot of errors". Now, I ask why would she say something like this?. The type of job I am pursuing requires good communication and writing skills, and she knows this, as she is one who possess a Masters in Business. Also the company we both work for states in the employee hand book that you may verify employment dates, but you will not provide a letter of reference; nor will recommendations be given by any member of management regarding a former or current employee tenure with the company. Anyone who can help me with this matter please reply.
I hope I got my point across. :)
Thanks!

Last edited:
I am being held back by a piece of specious reasoning and I feel that she has perpetrated fraud/defamation ???. Fraud and defamation? Good grief. Your supervisor was completely free to share her opinion about you and your job performance when contacted for a reference. If, in her opinion, your communication skills are not all that they could be, she may say so.

What can I do to ensure this particular incident will not happen again. Other than not giving your supervisor's name as a reference, not a thing. Not giving her name does not mean a prospective employer won't call her however.

While I don't mean to be rude, if your post above is indicative of your writing and communication skills, then there is room for improvement and your supervisor's comments were not entirely off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back