Employer holding paychecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckcasual

I have been getting pressured by the owner of my company to "hold" (i.e. not deposit) two paychecks. Other managers in the company have apparently agreed to do this. I have not. I have been asked to hold checks in the past and have a record of those emails.

The latest email stated that if I were unwilling to go along with this, "company-wide furloughs may result."

I work remotely during the summer months and have not received a paycheck in the mail (we long ago lost direct deposit) since July 27. This was for the pay period 7/10-16, but was marked on the check as pay period 7/10-23. (We are paid weekly, one week in arrears.) The check was handwritten. We were informed that this was because the company had again changed banks.

I have called and emailed my immediate superior about the missing check for the period ending 7/23 and have received no response. I called and emailed again today after finding no check at the post office and received his out of office, "on vacation" response. I am operating on the assumption that the check that was supposed to be issued today, for the period 7/24-30, was also not mailed.

What recourse do I have? What action might I take?

Your company appears to be waddling it's way towards bankruptcy.

The request is illegal.

You will win this battle, but could lose the war.

You can contact the agency that handles labor and wage law for your state. They'll assist in getting you paid, unless the firm has no money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Massachusetts, that would be the Attorney General's office. I'm surprised that employees haven't file wage claims up the ying-yang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back