Employer died... still owes money but company closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

At_A_Loss

My jurisdiction is: Chicago-land

In need of some help!!! My best friend has been working for a SMALL family-owned company for many years. Rencently the owner had health issues and passed away. Turns out the company was already far in the hole. When she was getting her paychecks, he wasn't paying/withholding the taxes when calling her payroll into ADP. Meaning ADP thinks she made far less than what she really made, and still hasn't paid taxes on that. In reality, she was getting the amount she should have been getting AFTER taxes should have been withheld. Money was also not put into her 401K, which she could face penalties for.

The owners wife also had my friend come in for 2 additional days after he passed away to help close things down. She still has not been paid for those days either. The widowed wife can't exactly issue a payroll check to this friend, since there's no money in the corporate account to being with.

Who would she go after to claim the money that is owed to her? Is she entitled to any kind of severance or reimbursement of fees/penalties incurred due to this situation?

WHAT ARE HER OPTIONS? WHERE CAN SHE TURN TO GET THIS RESOLVED???

Your friend needs to talk to the IL DOL about the wage issues, and the US DOL about the 401k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back