Employer did NOT internally post several jobs. Favoritism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tak1610

Hi, I hope someone here can answer my questions.

I'm currently working as a contractor at a Fortune 500 company in TEXAS. I've been working in the same position for two years now. Several new contractors were brought on, a few months ago where I work. Recently four of these contractors were approached by their boss or other employees, to interview for upcoming full-time REQ's. These REQ's were NEVER internally posted at the company. I was never approached to interview for these positions. I didn't hear about the jobs until after these other contractors interviewed.

Is this discrimination? I sure think it's at least Favoritism.

As far as I know, everyone currently on contract at the company, should have a right to apply for the job too. But the jobs were not posted internally. So far, five people were now hired in this fashion. Is there anything I can do?

Not unless you have a bona fide contract that specifically states that all jobs must be posted. The law does NOT require internal postings.

No, this is not discrimination, and while it may or may not be favoritism, favoritism is not illegal.

Look up your employment laws. In Canada it's law both at the federal and provincial level (most provinces) that employers MUST post competitions and even has minimum requirements for what is on or in these competitions.

There is a stepped process that escalates if they cannot find a suitable candidate. Internal employees, then internal contract employees, then external contract employees (usually industry), then the general public. Most companies just post the competition all at once as there is no shades of grey there.

That may be the law in Canada, but it is not the law in the US, and I don't see anything indicating that the OP is in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back