employer altered my personnel file

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumped

Ive had multiple instances of inapropriate behavior with one of my supervisors. On one instance it led to him being suspended for a week. He recently harrased me until I almost quit. Many witnesses. My lead and another supervisor transferred me to a different department as a "punishment" for having to take a week off suddenly for a medical condition my mom developed. (Im the only TIG welder and that supervisor is the only other person in the company that can do it) Durring this punishment week is when I was harassed. I went to the head of our shop and he took notes of what happened and cited I'm sorry I'm writing so much down we are supposed to keep better records. I informed him that was exactly what I wanted. (HR was on vacation) when HR got back he also took notes and was going to investigate this instance. A couple weeks went by and the company has just changed some of its policies. Last week I was formally written up for being late and not calling an hour before my shift (would have been 4 am) to say I was going to be late. A new policy. I have never had a warning for anything, let alone a write up. I requested a copy of my personnel file and received it the next day. Many things are missing, no accounts of any of my dealings with the supervisor or my complaints, and even some of my reviews were completely changed. (I have copies of the real reviews that recommend raises I never received) management keeps finding reasons to not do my wage adjustment review. Its been rescheduled three times since I didn't receive another raise I was supposed to in January. My fake review says I got a raise, but its not faked well and says that raise brought me to what I was hired at... again I have the real one. I even talked with HR about that particular review in the past and we looked at it in the past from my file and it was the one I have. Now its forged (badly) I asked HR where the rest of my file was and informed him that review was altered. He told me that's my complete company file and that's all he has and wasn't concerned with my review being blatantly altered. The only record of me being so harrased by my supervisor (which was bad) is an email from the head boss to HR stating that I felt a little mistreated by my sup and didn't like having to work in a different area for a week, and a hand written letter from the supervisor that harassed me stating I was overreacting and he did nothing wrong. None of my statements are in there and none of the witnesses were asked about the incident. Acording to my file ive never had any issue with that supervisor prior to this "little thing". /I don't know what to do. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Sorry its so long there's a lot going on. I'm also not sure what catagory to put this in there's a lot going on

Ok. But why would they put his statement, if they didn't have to, and not mine in my file and never ask anyone else what happened?

Ok. But why would they put his statement, if they didn't have to, and not mine in my file and never ask anyone else what happened?

Perhaps the records were "hacked"?
You should also know that an employer really requires no reason or justification to terminate your services, absent an employment contract or a collective bargaining agreement.

Even if a person was operating under one of those exceptions, an employer could EVENTUALLY (with some persistence) cause you to be gone.

If things are unraveling, it might be time to seek employment where your skills would be more appreciated.

When these disputes begin to occur, the end is within sight.

Contrary to popular belief, personnel files are company records and the company can put whatever they want into them. They are not required to keep anything an employee submits in the file and it is actually a best practice to only keep a summary and result of an investigation in the actual file. While it is odd that there would be fake and forged reviews in there, no law requires reviews so you can not force them to ensure the correct ones are in there. Whether the real ones or the altered ones are in the file is legally meaningless.

On what basis were you being harassed? Harassment has a very specific meaning under the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back