Employee Commitment Letter Questions...URGENT HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deee703

I was just offered employment, and the employer wants me to draft a commitment letter by 8 a.m. tomorrow. I was offered this job at 4:26 p.m. today...just saying. Anyway, the email regarding the commitment letter says that in the letter I have to:

A commitment of at least 3 years to the company and our specific office
- What you expect from:
- Your direct manager
- Your Director
- The company as a whole
- What we can expect from you.

This seems legally binding to me...which I don't personally think is fair. I am 21 years old with no experience with commitment letters. In fact, I've never even heard of one, which makes me wonder. I'm willing to commit 100% to any job I work on, but in the long run, if the job isn't for me or if I am extremely unhappy, I will not stay at a job. I'm right out of college and realize I need to start somewhere and want to be employed. This job looks promising; I only went through a series of interviews because I was interested in the work that I would be doing. Now, I am nervous because of this commitment letter.

By committing to work three years at this company, if I decide to quit (with a valid reason), can they sue me or pursue legal action against me?

I just need some advice as to what this commitment letter really means as soon as possible. Thank you all!

I was just offered employment, and the employer wants me to draft a commitment letter by 8 a.m. tomorrow. I was offered this job at 4:26 p.m. today...just saying. Anyway, the email regarding the commitment letter says that in the letter I have to:

A commitment of at least 3 years to the company and our specific office
- What you expect from:
- Your direct manager
- Your Director
- The company as a whole
- What we can expect from you.

This seems legally binding to me...which I don't personally think is fair. I am 21 years old with no experience with commitment letters. In fact, I've never even heard of one, which makes me wonder. I'm willing to commit 100% to any job I work on, but in the long run, if the job isn't for me or if I am extremely unhappy, I will not stay at a job. I'm right out of college and realize I need to start somewhere and want to be employed. This job looks promising; I only went through a series of interviews because I was interested in the work that I would be doing. Now, I am nervous because of this commitment letter.

By committing to work three years at this company, if I decide to quit (with a valid reason), can they sue me or pursue legal action against me?

I just need some advice as to what this commitment letter really means as soon as possible. Thank you all!

The letter is almost useless, with one exception.
Of course you can quit anytime you want.
The 13th amendment ended slavery and involuntary servitude.

The exception addresses repayment of monies the company advances you for relocation, education/training, signing bonuses, advances, etc...
If the company isn't giving you any of those things, then the exception PROBABLY doesn't apply.

Never sign anything you don't understand.
I can only advise you generally about this matter.
If you feel pressured, or in any way unsure, do not sign the letter without consulting an attorney!
If the firm insists, that is a BIG TELL!
As bad as people need jobs, it might be better to walk away from an employer that bullies and rushes you before they've paid you a dime!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back