Emancipation

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I am thirteen right now, but I will be seventeen when I graduate high school and plan to move out immediately. Will I be able to move out of my home, and with a friend or would my parents be allowed to report me as a run away and force me back home?

Until you are at the age of majority, your parents have custody and control of you. That means that you live where they say you live until you hit the magic age in your state.

Per your thread here, you are 13. I don\t think you understand what emancipation is about, but it is not to remove you from your parents' control and custody.

I am thirteen right now, but I will be seventeen when I graduate high school and plan to move out immediately. Will I be able to move out of my home, and with a friend or would my parents be allowed to report me as a run away and force me back home?

That's four years away. Why are you in a rush to move out? If your parents allow you to move out when you graduate you can. If not, you can't.

Under Missouri law, a minor who is at least 16 years old may seek early emancipation. Aside from needing to be at least 16, the minor's parents must consent to the emancipation (either expressly or impliedly).

I don\t think you understand what emancipation is about, but it is not to remove you from your parents' control and custody.

Of course it is. Early emancipation gives a minor all of the rights and responsibilities of an adult, one of the consequences of which is that the minor's parents no longer have "control and custody" of the minor.

That is the result of emancipation. But the majority of teens who post on these boards aren't looking for legal emancipation - they're looking for a legal way to go live with the non-custodial parent, or their best friends' parent, or their adult boyfriend/girlfriend, who will then provide the financial support. Thus lacking an understanding that legal emancipation is the recognition that the minor is financially independent and in need of the ability the legal protections of an adult. Judges do not emancipate children because they don't like the way they are being parented.

Until you are at the age of majority, your parents have custody and control of you. That means that you live where they say you live until you hit the magic age in your state.

And in no state is the age of majority younger than 18.

And in no state is the age of majority younger than 18.

100% spot on, cbg.

I'll add for emphasis, in some states it is 19, and in one state it is "age 18 or graduation from high school whichever comes later".

Of course it is. Early emancipation gives a minor all of the rights and responsibilities of an adult, one of the consequences of which is that the minor's parents no longer have "control and custody" of the minor.

Not ALL the rights of an adult can be acquired by emancipation, for example voting comes to mind, as does the purchase of certain age appropriate items (liquor, cigarettes, firearms), the ability to join the military LEGALLY as a 15 year old, obtain a drivers license at age 14 (in many states) are but a few things emancipation alone (should it be acquired) won't allow.

An emancipated minor can't even quit school before the age of sixteen because federal law mandates minors MUST attend school until the age of sixteen.

In Illinois, an emancipated minor obtains ONLY the rights the court granting emancipation decrees.

Rights, Privileges, and Duties of Emancipation - FindLaw

That's four years away. Why are you in a rush to move out? If your parents allow you to move out when you graduate you can. If not, you can't.

I'm in an effort to move out ASAP, bc I am non binary and have a girlfriend. (I am Panromantic Asexual) my parents are extremely homophobic and when they know I have a girlfriend, will not be happy and are probably going to make us break up. I also discovered that my parents believe in conversion therapy, which as of right now is legal in my state. I fear coming out to them would cause them to send me to conversion therapy. I really want to get out of my house. Thank you all for your answers. If anyone knows of any other way possible, any loop hole, or ANYTHING that could get me out of my house before eighteen please let me know at your earliest convenince. Thanks!

I really want to get out of my house.

Foolish teenagers who leave home thinking a friend's parents will support them indefinitely often find that the free ride gets old rather quickly and when the friend and parents no longer want to be saddled with the guest the teenager ends up on the street engaging in prostitution and becoming a drug addict, often dying in an alley somewhere. Don't think it can't happen to you. It happens so frequently that it's almost inevitable.

You're not the first unhappy teenager posting on these sites. There have been thousands before you and there will be thousands after you.

My advice: Do what it takes to stick it out at home, finish high school, and when you are 18 and know everything, you are welcome to go out into the world and see if you can make a living.

The very minute you turn 18 you can walk out of the house and no one can stop you. Until then, you leave with your parents' permission or you don't leave at all.

If you have homophobic parents, I suggest not coming out until you are at least 18, or have the support of another family member such as a grandparent or aunt/uncle. You are only 13. A romantic girlfriend is hardly necessary or even common regardless of how you identify. Be friends, sure, but don't center your life on a romantic partner. Focus on school, enjoy time with friends of all identities. Counseling would be a great idea and you should be able to do this through your school.

I'm in an effort to move out ASAP, bc I am non binary and have a girlfriend. (I am Panromantic Asexual) my parents are extremely homophobic and when they know I have a girlfriend, will not be happy and are probably going to make us break up. I also discovered that my parents believe in conversion therapy, which as of right now is legal in my state. I fear coming out to them would cause them to send me to conversion therapy. I really want to get out of my house. Thank you all for your answers. If anyone knows of any other way possible, any loop hole, or ANYTHING that could get me out of my house before eighteen please let me know at your earliest convenince. Thanks!

Emancipation isn't going to remove you from your parents' home, you're too young and you don't qualify.

If you are being abused, report it.

While you're a minor, they can tell you who to date and not to date.

You might want to read the news too by the way:

Missouri Bill Would Protect LGBT Minors from Forced 'Conversion Therapy'

Missouri bill would ban conversion therapy for minors

MO House Bill filed to ban "Conversion Therapy"

All those news stories say that a bill was introduced to ban conversion therapy in Missouri.

"Missouri could become the 10th state to ban the controversial practice of conversion therapy for minors if state lawmakers this spring approve the Youth Mental Health Preservation Act."

So I'd be calling my representatives in the state to pass this and get other people if I was you. If it passes, then conversion therapy is illegal in Missouri and they'd have to send you out of state. If they can afford that or not...I don't know.

That could at least remove one of the things you're worried about if they don't find out any time soon.

Back