Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI DWI Lawyer Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXLeaseQuestion

Hello all, some quick advice would be greatly appreciated. My fiance has recently received a DWI. We are looking into various law firms to represent her and seem to have more questions coming from it than answers answered.

What is an average cost for the DWI ticket as well as the ALR appearance for her license to be reinstated?

What percentage of these cases are plead out or down *note* with a breathalizer (station not field) being taken and failed.

Mimi Coffey seems to be the prevailing DWI lawyer in Fort Worth, any opinions on her service? I have done some research and it seems as though she handles these tickets in bulk but still charges 3,500$ per ticket (price given to us today).

Is hiring an attorney beneficial or is considered a lost cause? Are the chances of conviction high with legal representation?

Is utilizing the public defenders office on par with hiring someone or will her case be thrown under the bus so to say?

Thank you for your time,

No Difference; Same Difference!

It is six of one and half a dozen of the other!

Well, first and foremost, a straight, garden variety first D.U.I. offense is charged only as a misdemeanor and nothing more and I personally would not spend a dime on hiring a private attorney. Because not only are you going to need all the spare cash you have to pay for the laundry list of financial punishments such as court costs, civil fines, D.U.I. classes, A.A. meetings, MADD seminar, and the mandatory change from a regular car insurance policy to a D.U.I. specific S.R. 22 insurance coverage, you are also going to see all those who arrive flanked by a private attorney, leave the courtroom having received the same punishment as those who either wing it pro se or are defended by public defenders.

In other words, attorney or no attorney, your fiancé is going to receive the same fines, suspension, classes, and probation. It would have been a different matter if this was the second or the third D.U.I. offense and she was looking at a felony conviction and some very stiff penalties and maybe even a 30 to 90 day incarceration, in which case I would be the first to say that this is where the parity between a private attorney and a public defender ends and suggest that she retain private counsel. But in this scenario, she can safely opt for a public defender.

As for the average cost of a D.U.I.; I couldn't say it for Texas, but it costs around the $3,000 mark in California and the conviction rate can be likened to shooting fish in a barrel; 99%, and the group occupying the other 1% who even though acquitted, not fairing much better.

Good Luck!

fredrikklaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back