Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI DWI in NY.

G

I got a DWI in NY 17 yrs ago. Through rehab, moving to FL and brain surgery for brain cancer, i lost track of the case.

I have been subpoened to testify as a witness of a traffic accident for the plaintiff. Will the laywer for the defendant be able to find the outstandig warrant for that DWI in NY?

DWI in NY 17 yrs ago. Witness today.

I got a DWI in NY 17 yrs ago. Through rehab, moving to FL and surgery for brain cancer, i lost track of that case.

I have been subpoened to testify in an auto accident i witnessed 2 yrs ago in Fl. For the plaintiff. Will the laywer for the defendent find a warrant for the DWI 17 yrs ago in NY?

Yes, it is possible that an attorney for one side or the other will be aware of the NY warrant. However, that shouldn't make any difference. Your responsibility is to respond and testify truthfully. If you are afraid of being arrested, I'd say the odds of that happening on such an old warrant in a distant state is nearly zilch. Assuming this is a typical DWI misdemeanor, the chances of extradition is slim so it should be a on-issue from that perspective. Though, I suppose you can be characterized as a wanted fugitive by one side or the other in an effort to discredit you.

Does this concern you because you are driving without a license? Fear arrest? Or fear being made to look like a wanted criminal on the stand?

I am showing up to testify for the plaintiff. My only concern is not being prepared for an arrest at court. I have until tues 6/30 and no one to take care of my unfinished business. Im also now in a wheelchair do to brain surgery and not sure what will happen if i just disappear.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to care. A 17 year old DWI misdemeanor is not at all likely to appear in any public criminal offender record from another state unless specifically sought. And, even so, the local jail is not going to want to incur the liability of a wheelchair bound patient in holding while they wait some 10 days to confirm extradition ... provided NY might agree to extradite for a misdemeanor in the first place (which is exceedingly rare).

Disappearing (i.e. disobeying the subpoena) IS, however, a great way to get a new criminal charge against you and one that CAN be enforced.

No. Im not going to disappear as in not show up to testify. I mean if i disappear after getting arrested for the warant in NY. I still recieve care from the V A for the cancer.

I may have been an idiot when i drove intoxicated back then but i havent drank since then and believe i need to show up to testify for the one im being subpoened for. Ill just have to see what happens when i testify.

Thank you for your help.

Back